Lottery Dunkelweizen... Lactose?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krbrumma

Reaction score
Alright, so I made a Lottery Dunkelweizen... aka the recipe is totally on chance. :drunk:

Here it is:

90min boil

Grain:
10 lbs Wheat Malt
1.5 lbs Aromatic Malt
7 lbs Pilsner Malt
.5 lb Flaked Maize
1 lb Munich Malt 10L
1 lb Munich Malt (Standard)
1 lb Crystal Malt 120L
.5 lb Rice Hulls
.5 lb Breiss Chocolate malt

Hops:
2.5 oz Tettnang Pellet 3.9% @60
1 oz Saaz Pellet 3.3% @ 5
.5 Tettnang @ flameout

it's a 10 gallon, if it comes out. I'm considering doing a chocolate addition to 5 gals based on this recipe;
Cocoa powder.

Add around 8 oz of cocoa powder and any other spices to a small amount of water. Bring the mixture to around 180*F. Exact temp is not important. You are just trying to kill bacteria/wild yeast while not bringing the mixture to a full boil. Whisk to incorporate the cocoa powder in the water. You could also add in the lactose here. Just compensate with more water and a slightly bigger pot. Add this mixture at flameout, to the cooled wort or in the secondary.

My question is do i need lactose, or does my recipe, most likely contain enough residual sugars for a decent flavor. I'm not looking for a lot of chocolate, just a nice addition. Any comments and Suggestions are appreciated :D
:mug:

In my experience, lactose doesn't really impact flavor much, more about mouthfeel and a very slight sweetness. I'm not a dunkelweisen expert, have only brewed it once, but with a pound of crystal, I would think you've got plenty of sweetness.

If, when fermentation is done, the final gravity is too low for your tastes, you can add boiled lactose then.

Back