Lotsa buds after harvest...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shek

Reaction score
The attached pic is of several buds (each several inches long) that have been growing off the bottom of my single cascade bine over the last couple weeks. Should I do anything about these buds if they start getting longer? Cut the bine back and plant the part that has the buds? I harvested everything on this bine a couple weeks ago. It's a first year plant that only had one bud when I planted it in April. I'm wondering if the whacky weather in Southern California could have anything to do with all the buds, we had a mild summer until a few weeks ago.
5371_1222890654675_1301237351_679599_6836963_n.jpg

If embed didn't work

If you bury the shoots, they will root and you'll have more plants. but leave them attached until Spring.

IOW, don't do anything? Just wondering if our lack of season in Southern California might make these buds keep growing to the point that I should take action soon instead of wait until spring.

After the flowers are removed the plant has nothing to put energy into, so it throws new sidearms where the lower leaves used to be. Same thing happens here in MI. Just let 'em go and cut the whole bine in a month or so.

I just got back from vacation and some of these shoots are getting pretty long. There's one that sprouted from about an inch above the ground that is about two feet long and can't stand up on it's own. Is it worth giving it some twine and seeing if I can get some cascades to harvest in mid-fall? I have doubts that these will shutdown during the fall/winter and wonder if they will grow year round, since the high/low even in jan will still be 70/45, and the plant will still be getting at least a good eight hours of sunlight per day. Is there anyone on here that grows hops in SoCal or maybe other places with no cold weather, plenty of sun, and mild seasons who can comment on year-round growing?

Interesting question. When I lived in Fullerton, I had a tomato plant go for 22 months. Certainly, it's worth trying; but I suspect they will die-back in a couple months regardless.

Keep us posted.

Back