Lots Of Banana Esters On Purpose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikejonesmattawan

Reaction score
I have been trying to reproduce a hefe that was served at a local micro that has since shut down. I think i finally got it figured out. Here's what i did:
WLP 300 1L stirplate starter overnight
Brewers Best Witbier Kit
Did not use orange peel and corriander spice pack
Did not use included dry yeast of course
Otherwise followed normal recipe
Kept 6 gallon better bottle at 72-73 during fermentation
No secondary
After 5 days, bottled at 1.012
Somewhat carbed after 2 days in bottles - Huge :ban: flavor, minimal clove

In the past I have noticed a decrease in banana after being in bottles for a while. Does anyone know of a way to avoid that? Also I would love to hear how anyone else who likes banana gets it naturally.

I have a similar question, so I will tack it to your topic.

I'm thinking of making a Belgian wit style beer but I want to get a strong banana aroma and mild banana taste.

What I am considering now is to purée some nearly past good bananas (when they are really sweet) and adding it to secondary fermentation in a glass carbon when I transfer from first bucket fermentation. Any thoughts on this?

Is this is best method? I've heard there is a yeast that imparts banana notes. Is using a purée a bad idea?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The banana ester is created by the yeast (Isoamyl acetate). If you want to maximize that, try under pitching a bit (pitch the tube, no starter) and ferment warmer. Both force the yeast to churn out a lot more esters. Which the OP certainly fermed high.

Resist the temptation to grab a banal extract or banana fruit. The fruit had oils that will kill the head, at least. Banana extract can taste artificial.

I did mine in the high 60's and it came out with a lot of banana flavor, too much in my opinion. I'm hoping some more time in the bottle will help reduce the banana flavor. When I burp after drinking this beer is tastes exactly like I just at a banana.

It also did not carbonate very well. I used 5 oz for 5 gal and would definitely use more in the future.

Weezy:

Thank you for the response.

So the WLP 300 1L is the yeast I need to create the banana ethers?

What is "under pitching"? Pitching less than all of the yeast?

And as far as fermenting at a higher temperature, how many degrees above the suggested yeast temp should I ferment?

How much of an effect on aroma do you think i can create by dropping actually fruit into secondary? I don't want it to overpower the flavor at all.

Any hefeweizen strain puts out the described banana esters and spicy clove flavours. Wyeast 3068 and Fermentis WB06 also put out good banana notes. It's a German yeast thing

All the weizen yeast beers I've made lost all phenolic/ester qualities after less than 6 months. They do not age well

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

I've cultured Schneider Wesson yeast out of there beer. I always make a starter. But I ferment my beer at 70+. I reuse that yeast all year. The more you ferment at 70+ the more banana esters comes out. I've had the Easters stay strong. Everyone loves my beer.

I know underpitching stresses the yeast to create esters, can a stress it repeatedly in the starter flask to create more?
I would advise against banana in the fermenter, we are after yeast created banana taste here, not really what an actual banana tastes like. Think banana runts.

I make a hefe with a friend of mine and we use Wlp380. The thing is super bananaee. Am going to use it for my next attempt at a wells banana bread.

I have a Belgian Golden Strong Ale that I will bottle in the next couple of days. I tasted it and it has a noticeable banana flavor. I used White Labs WLP570. I also over-hopped it by accident.

I know underpitching stresses the yeast to create esters, can a stress it repeatedly in the starter flask to create more?.

No, the esters aren't carried forward with the yeast, it stays in that starter beer.... and you shouldnt be pouring that starter beer into the fermenter along with the yeast.

You dont want to stress the yeast un the starter. That's why we u low graav wort in starters, to minimize yeast stress. We need healthy, invigorated yeast ready to go for the main batch.

Latest posts

Back