Lost power during fermentation, what effects?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JB_Brewing2

Reaction score
We lost power due to wind one night and I didn't notice for a day and a half that the controller for fermentation automatically shut off. Upon noticing the temperture controller had shut off the heating element, I started it up immediately to get back to 68 degrees. I have a 15 gallon batch of ale that got down to 48 degrees in my unheated shop. Any insight into the impact this will have on the finished brew would be greatly appreciated. This occurred on the eighth day of fermentation with WLP001. Thanks in advance!

I would imagine nothing much. That far in the bulk of fermentation is done. Heat it back up, maybe give it a shake or something to rouse the yeast if it makes you feel better.

Should be fine. May have caused the yeast to floc out and go dormant. But by day 8 fermentation is likely done, and wlp001 isnt a huge diacetyl producer or anything, and its powdery and tolerant of cold. So my assumption is that it is fine/no effect, and leave it an extra day or two at 68.

Latest posts

Back