Lost Opportunity with Yeast Selection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayDubWill

Reaction score
I'm formulating a RIS and am looking at clone recipes of some of the great stout examples such as Old Rasputin, ST Oat, and KBS for inspiration. All the clones have one thing in common, they use Wyeast 1056 or White Labs WLP 001. I understand the desire to have a neutral yeast that will allow the focus to be on the malts and hops, however is there a missed opportunity here to impart some depth that a solid british strain may impart? I've read great things about WLP051/WY1272 and WLP007/WY1098, what are your thoughts?

I'm formulating a RIS and am looking at clone recipes of some of the great stout examples such as Old Rasputin, ST Oat, and KBS for inspiration. All the clones have one thing in common, they use Wyeast 1056 or White Labs WLP 001. I understand the desire to have a neutral yeast that will allow the focus to be on the malts and hops, however is there a missed opportunity here to impart some depth that a solid british strain may impart? I've read great things about WLP051/WY1272 and WLP007/WY1098, what are your thoughts?

Maybe, maybe not....it's up to you to decide what you want. I realize that may not be a very satisfying answer, but you know your own tastes better than we do. Me, I'd stick to 1056.

My choice for an RIS is WY1028/WLP013. 1968 is great but it's probably not going to attenuate enough for a RIS.

I'd say split a batch and ferment with two different yeast to see which one you like better.

Check out the alcohol tolerance and the attenuation of the yeast when you are making a decision on which yeast to use. A low attenuating yeast will result in a maltier and sweeter finished product.

I've made many a good stout with 1728, and we've had some HBT award winners using 1968 as well. Those two attenuate just fine. 80%+, if you plan your recipe right. Both perform very well in high gravity, high alcohol environments.

I'll echo Denny, though, and say do whatever fits your tastes. Get some commercial examples that use a British strain of yeast, and see how you like those, if you don't want to risk 5 gallons of your own first.

I've made many a good stout with 1728, and we've had some HBT award winners using 1968 as well. Those two attenuate just fine. 80%+, if you plan your recipe right. Both perform very well in high gravity, high alcohol environments.

I'll echo Denny, though, and say do whatever fits your tastes. Get some commercial examples that use a British strain of yeast, and see how you like those, if you don't want to risk 5 gallons of your own first.

It's pretty hard to find a RIS from England in my area. I'm sipping on Old Rasputin as I type and can definitely see where an english strain might muddle the flavors. My "house" strain is actually Denny's Favorite 50 so I might go with that.

It's pretty hard to find a RIS from England in my area. I'm sipping on Old Rasputin as I type and can definitely see where an english strain might muddle the flavors. My "house" strain is actually Denny's Favorite 50 so I might go with that.

Doesn't have to come from England, just use yeast of English origin. There are lots of examples. What area of the country are you in?

I'm in Pensacola, FL. I can get a small selection of Samuel Smith beers, and have tried their organic chocolate stout, but haven't seen their imperial stout on he shelves.

I don't think the yeast is that important in an Imperial Stout. There's so much flavor from roasted grains, a lot of residual sugars, and usually a lot of bitterness. It's hard for a few esters to really compete with that, unless you have some sort of banana bomb. I'm not saying it makes no difference, but it's minor. If you want to use a lower-attenuating yeast (002/1960, 1318, etc..) but still dry the beer out, you can do so by adding a hungrier strain once the low-attenuator does its work.

Back