Lost Gravity Points?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wfowlks

Reaction score
So, my life has gotten quite hectic, and I no longer am able to commit a whole day to brewing. Life, kids woman has gotten in the way. But long story short. I brewed a batch over the weekend, and then I wasn't able to cool it after the boil, so I just let it sit covered for a day and a half. I then went to measure the OG in the fermentor after racking it to the fermentor, and its half of what I measured at the end of brew day.

My Guess is that the sugar sank to the bottom, so I am boiling a gallon of water to swish around the dredges and cool that and rack it, but I am also adding DME because My OG was originally 1.055 and then after letting it sit, it is now 1.022...

Has anyone experienced this? If not, I'll update this after I try the re-mixing of the trub at the bottom of the kettle.

If anything, the extra time should have helped any mixing of sugars. I have to ask if you compensated for measuring SG at a high temperature? But that won't account for a difference between 1.051 and 1.022, so I have to agree with union- I think she has been fermenting.

Heavier wort is at the bottom. You have done the right thing. Take another readibg after muxing.

Back