lost grain bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve111

Reaction score
I can't seem to locate my grain bag (will search more in a bit), and the LHBS is a drive that I can't make today. Is there anything I can do, or do I need to wait and somehow get a replacement grain bag? It's a brewer's best tripel belgian extract kit.

Thanks!

The BB kits we bought came with muslin grain bags. Didn't yours? Those are better than nothing. but I do prefer my nylon paint strainer bags.

Option 1 and messiest is just to float the grain and strain.

Option 2 you can use a lot of similar material for a grain bag. The Brew in the Bag guys talk about using a paint straing bag (hardware store), or you could go to the laundry section of walmart and get a 'delicates' bag which is used to hold delicates. These are large enough weave to let water in, but small enough to hold most grain particles.

Given it is extract and a grain bag, I'd go with the delicates bag.

The BB kits we bought came with muslin grain bags. Didn't yours? Those are better than nothing. but I do prefer my nylon paint strainer bags.

Yes, but as I said I lost it. I am going to look, and then if I really have lost it, attempt to just strain it. First, I need to see if I have any bleach around.

BLEACH?!?! Please tell me you're not going to sanitize with bleach? Major newbie no no!

A year or so ago, I was in Wally world and saw a 'Turkey stuffing bag'. It's muslin just like the steeping bags. I picked it up, although I don't use straining bags anymore(just throw the steeping grains in the mash). I do use them for dryhopping though.

Would putting some holes in a plastic container (not big enough for the hops to escape) with a clip on lid and sinking it in the wort work?

Obviously sanitising the container of course!

Do you not have a hardware store nearby? Ace, Home Depot, Lowes? Paint strainer bags are 2 for $3 or $4.

Would putting some holes in a plastic container (not big enough for the hops to escape) with a clip on lid and sinking it in the wort work?

Obviously sanitising the container of course!

This seems like it is very..... wel there are easier solutions for not much money. Heck even a nylon sock (aka stocking) could be used. I mean what are you going to do to hole punch to make the steeping vessel out of? And it needs to handle about 1/lb of grain, so figure maybe around 4 ot 5 cups (I'm guessing based on my own grain bag usages, I've not measured)

Since it is going in the Hot side, no sanitation is needed, that is what the hot side will take care of. I'd personally get something from walmart to use, and not try ot make something.

Sanitizing with bleach will leave a horribly nasty taste to the beer, I use campden to remove chlorine from brewing water and would never introduce more anywhere in the brewing process. To remove the bleach you have to rinse extensively and unless you have an unlimited supply of sterile water you're only introducing more bacteria. My advice, don't brew today. Make the drive to the LHBS to get bags and STAR SAN!

I assume he means he needs the bleach for sanitizing the fermenter, since it is pointless to sanitize brew kettles. Or am I wrong?

I assume he means he needs the bleach for sanitizing the fermenter, since it is pointless to sanitize brew kettles. Or am I wrong?

two questions ther e- why he needs bleach, and need for sanatizing brew gear.

Since teh first to me is a bit unknowable (maybe a whites laundry load)? I'll stick to the 2nd, yes you don't sanatize the kettles or "hot side" these are sanatized by cooking. Only the 'cold side' everything that touches the wort after boil needs to be sanatized.

Bleach can be used to sanatize brew gear, but Idaphor or Star San are better. I'm not sure of a way of making either. Oxyclean can also be used for sanatizing. However both Oxyclean and bleach are not quick/easy to use. Bleach requires rinsing, and oxyclean requires a 10 min soak. - Bleach might also require a longer contact time.

The OP can do as he wants/needs, but really a quick no rinse sanatizer makes brewing sanatation 100% easier. BTW, somoone has suggested getting iodine (the basis for idaphor) from a farming supply - they use it to stanatize animals for milking. Or a restraunt supply - my Ipdophor bottle mentions using a concentraion solution for bar glass ware washing.

I'd def go with the Starsan. And go to home depot or lowe's for a nylon paint strainer bag to fit your kettle. That's what I use. It can be draped over the edge of the kettle so you can stir the grains to break up dough balls & wet then evenly. And the nylon bag washes clean really easilly.

Really shouldn't use bleach at all, for anything. Oxyclean and StarSan are better

Exactly! You could use three week old dirty underwear to steep the grains and it would still come out better than using bleach in the fermenter.

I got the idea to use bleach from here:

Bleach
Bleach is cheap, highly effective and readily available. Common household bleach is a solution of sodium hypochlorite in water. Its active ingredient is chlorine, as used in tap water and swimming pools, and is relatively safe at low concentrations. When used at the recommended dilution rate (10ml plain, cheap, unscented household bleach to 5L water) and allowed to fully dry, then rinsing is not required. The solution takes effect in as little as 30 seconds after contact, although 2 minutes is the EPA standard for 'instant' sanitisers. Adding an equal amount of white vinegar (acetic acid) to a diluted bleach solution (NEVER add vinegar directly to bleach)reduces the pH of the solution and 'activates' the bleach to become a real microbe killer. However, bleach will react with acids to release toxic chlorine gas, and some advise against mixing bleach with anything but water.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Cleaning_and_Sanitation

is that outdated?

Like I said, I go to great lengths to remove chlorine from brew water and would never reintroduce it later for any reason. But the beauty of homebrewing is that there is always more than one way to skin a cat, and we all have the freedom to use whatever we want. If it works for you, more power to you! My adamant suggestion: Star San only, never never never bleach! It's not that expensive, $10 bottle makes like 40 gallons or something and all you really need is a spray bottle. Besides bleach is poisonous, you wouldn't cook with it! Use the dirty underwear to steep the grains, but go get yourself some Star San.

I got the idea to use bleach from here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Cleaning_and_Sanitation

is that outdated?

If that were oudated, I'm sure someAdmin would go and update the sticky.

This really gets to a case of 'what can be used' vs. ' what is better'... Becasue bleach requires more work - the total drying for instance - it is more of a pain that Star San. However Star San and Idaphor are primarily available only from brewing stores. Bleach is available more commonly.

As to the clorine issue, may very good home brewers have used bleach and probably would still recomend it. Many who have included it in their books (Like the Joy of Homebrewing by Charlee Papazani and I think How to Brew by John Palmer). I'd guess, without having tested, that by letting the bleach dry, the Clorine evaporates. I can't garrenttee this, but it is a guess.

I say if all you have is bleach, and you are wanting to get going, go for it. But longer term, get either Star San (acid) or Idaphor(iodine) no rinse contact sanatizers. They are easier to work with, and you will be happier with the results. The primary concern about Clorine is that in beer it can produce chemicals that taste like bandaids, or plasticy.

Don't use bleach.

If you have a star san or a no rinse sanitizer you can use paint bags from your local hardware store. I use them all the time and they are cheap.

If that were oudated, I'm sure someAdmin would go and update the sticky.

This really gets to a case of 'what can be used' vs. ' what is better'... Becasue bleach requires more work - the total drying for instance - it is more of a pain that Star San. However Star San and Idaphor are primarily available only from brewing stores. Bleach is available more commonly.

As to the clorine issue, may very good home brewers have used bleach and probably would still recomend it. Many who have included it in their books (Like the Joy of Homebrewing by Charlee Papazani and I think How to Brew by John Palmer). I'd guess, without having tested, that by letting the bleach dry, the Clorine evaporates. I can't garrenttee this, but it is a guess.

I say if all you have is bleach, and you are wanting to get going, go for it. But longer term, get either Star San (acid) or Idaphor(iodine) no rinse contact sanatizers. They are easier to work with, and you will be happier with the results. The primary concern about Clorine is that in beer it can produce chemicals that taste like bandaids, or plasticy.

Great way to put it. My point was coming from knowing there are better and easier things out there to work with. Obviously bleach will work, but just has a lot more effort behind it, and when your brew day is already around 4 hours long, why make it harder. :ban:

Back