Loss of yeast in blow off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pudland

Reaction score
How much yeast can be lost in the blow off before it's too much for bottle carbonating?

Milk stout.
6 gallons.
1.060 OG
1 pack of rehydrated US-05.
3 days into fermentation.
Gallon jug container.

Thanks....

View attachment 1444163633550.jpg

I can't imagine losing so much through the blow-off that you couldn't bottle condition. You'll still have all the yeast/krausen in the area below the blow-off tube, plus wandering around suspended in the beer.

This really isnt possible. There is still so much suspended yeast that you cant see in the fermentor no matter what comes out the top. Like, you dont take the yeast cake with you when you bottle right?

I figured as much but just needed some reassurance.
I did pull some cake when I bottled the pilsner. It was lagered @ 35F for a month and a half. Pulled a little bit just to be sure

I've had a vigorous fermentation blow off almost a gallon and a half before (ended up 3 bottles short of 48), and still carbonate properly. I'm sure there was some yeast in there but they still packed enough punch to finish it right.

This is an old post but today I was researching about this topic as I had 8 oz of yeast in my blowoff reservoir. I have a 1.086 beer and the activity was intense. Getting that down to 1.012 or less will need all the yeast it can get. I started with 2 dry yeast packets in 3 of 12 gallons of wort. O2'd the 3 gallons, pitched the yeast and in 20 hours, I O2'd the other 9 gallons (4.5 gal in each carboy) and pitched 1.5 gal of "starter" into the 4.5 gal or freshly O2's wort. Then the fermentation took off. Pushing 8 oz of yeast into the blowoff vessel. I then separated the starsan water and repitched the yeast. We'll see if that helps.

Attachments

• IMG_5038.jpeg
    IMG_5038.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5037.jpeg
    IMG_5037.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
The only thing you'll get from that process is a greatly increased risk of microbiological contamination.

Back