Losing siphon when transferring from BK

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmubronco

Reaction score
I have a DIY triangular shaped hop screen on my pick-up tube, does a great job. Although, I have not been able to get the siphon to hold during the last few gallons in the BK.

Kal's site - when you start seeing bubbles in hose and the peak of hop filter starts showing in wort, slow your pump down to almost fully closed.

Was able to get it somewhat to a slow transfer, but problem seems to be when I have a lot of particulate in wort that I can never get the siphon to hold through Chugger pump.

Any pointers? Thanks HBT!

Why are you siphoning if you have a pump?
Centrifugal pumps don't work well when they have to lift the liquid. Despite the siphon feeding the pump you may be pumping faster than the siphon can flow and the pump is cavitating. Does your filter screen work ok without the pump?

Filter screen works without turning the pump on at beginning of transfer. My original concern is near the end of the remaining wort, say 2-3 gallons, is when the problem occurs and I lose my flow/siphon when using the pump.

If the pump is not running when the siphon fails then there is an air leak in the line that gets exposed when the fluid level drops enough. Check for a crack or other flaw in the line in the area on the line that is just at the fluid level when the siphon stops.

Latest posts

Back