Losing Flavor?????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hefe1911

Reaction score
So my first home brew was a bravarian Hefe. After 6 days I auto siphoned into my secondary carboy and took a reading. Sitting at .120 and had a great flavor. I was very proud and happy my first brew tasted so freaking good. Well a few days pass and I take another reading and another sample taste.( don't want to waste it :)). Seem to have lost some flavor? HHMM. Maybe it's just me. Fast forward to lastnight, day 13 and take another reading. .120 still, and lost even more Hefe flavor. It's good just not great like the first time. I'm a newb, but could tell it was a Hefe. What gives?

Just a guess, but possibly because there's less yeast in suspension. That hefe yeast is tasty stuff.

And I assume you mean .0120...as in 1.012, not 1.120, right?

Correct. I was typing really fast and trying to get to the point. I was at work and getting ready to walk out the door. Hydro is 1.02 and needs to be 1.012.

It's not carbed and conditioned yet...you can't really judge a beer until the journey is finished. So there's not point in worrying about how a beer's taste is changing, it's still going to be changing, until it's finished and it tastes great.

Yes it's changing....some things are receeding, while other flavors are developing and everything's coming to together. At whatever early point you taste, whehter you like it or not, it's just a minor part of a long process.

Relax.

It may be done at 1.020...it's not uncommon for extract beers to finish that high. No big deal, it'll just be a bit sweeter. Nothing to worry about.

And for next time, you don't need to move to a secondary.

Just listen to Revvy! Beer that is not carbonated will not taste anything like the beer once it is carbonated, leave the stuff alone, let it finish, bottle it, give it a couple weeks to carb up and you will be very happy:ban:

It may be done at 1.020...it's not uncommon for extract beers to finish that high. No big deal, it'll just be a bit sweeter. Nothing to worry about.

And for next time, you don't need to move to a secondary.
No doubt! I already told myself that. Thanks for the quick replies. It's going in the keg tonight. This my first rodeo. I had the kegerator built before I even started my brew. Lol. Been a long wait. :mug:

We see this many times per week. If it's not fully done fermenting, been fully carbed up (bottles or kegged), and allowed to mature a bit - you don't actually know what it's going to taste like. Relax.

Latest posts

Back