Losing CO2 quickly...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scuba_Steve81

Reaction score
I just kegged my first batch. My 5lb CO2 tank was at about 900 psi starting out.

After 24 hours at 30 psi, with a 7 minute knee rocking at the beginning, I turned the tank off and purged. Repressurized to 12 psi.

The tank is now down to about 500 psi...

The beer (hefeweizen) is almost fully carbed. Probably could use a tad more. It is definately carbed though, not flat.

I read, that if there is a leak the beer will be flat.

I also sprayed soapy water on the tank to reg connection, around the corny kid, and on both corny connection posts.

After I saw the big drop, I resprayed all the above with star san. I saw no bubbling. I worked changing tires when younger, so I definitely know what a leak sprayed with soap looks like.

Is this normal, or what could be causing my problem.

Btw, the beer is great this batch! Posting drunk... :D

Thanks!

Can you set the CO2 cylinder on a scale to track the total weight? If the weight is rapidly decreasing then there is a leak. Temperature can affect the pressure the gauge indicates.

take it out of the fridge, it will go back up some...

co2 is a liquid, and a gas, and Temperature effects it.

If you have a leak at 30 psi, then you will know you have a leak. you will hear it.
(disclaimer, you will hear it 90% of the time)

kristiismean is correct. I'm assuming from your post that you have your CO2 tank in the fridge hooked to your keg, correct? If so, CO2 has a direct pressure/temperature relationship. Meaning that the pressure in the tank will change depending on the temperature that the tank is sitting at.

Also, CO2 exists in your tank in a liquid/vapor state. The pressure will stay exactly the same in the tank, at a given temperature, until all the liquid has been vaporized. Once there is only vapor in the tank the pressure will drop rapidly. See the pressure/temperature chart for CO2 below. 567 psi is correct for a 40˚F fridge temp.

CO2_liquid_gas_chart.gif

I had this same panic when I bought my first 20# co2 cylinder. Pressure dropped to near the "red" zone. It was the drop in temp. Its been sitting "near the red" for just under a year now.

These guys are correct the only thing I would add is just do a soap water test spray it on and see if you can find any bubbles if so its a leak if not...your good.

Same thing I saw this weekend. CO2 gauge (room temp) was well into the green zone as it is full. I weighed the full tank just to get a feel for the full weight. Put in my keezer at 34F to start carbing a keg. Next morning gauge was in the red zone. I thought I had messed up a seal or something. I weighed the tank and was only a few ounces lower than the day before when the gauge was in the green zone. Is it normal for a full tank to read in the red even though it is confirmed still full?

Same thing I saw this weekend. CO2 gauge (room temp) was well into the green zone as it is full. I weighed the full tank just to get a feel for the full weight. Put in my keezer at 34F to start carbing a keg. Next morning gauge was in the red zone. I thought I had messed up a seal or something. I weighed the tank and was only a few ounces lower than the day before when the gauge was in the green zone. Is it normal for a full tank to read in the red even though it is confirmed still full?

Yes, if the tank is in your keezer/kegerator. Look at the chart in post #4. It shows the pressure you will read at various tank temperatures. The pressure will be the same for a full tank, and an almost empty tank.

Brew on :mug:

Tabular data can be nebulous.
This might help get the point across...

co2pv.gif

Cheers! (or not ;))

Oh Yeah! This graph is EXACTLY what my temp and pressure correlates with. My man cave was slightly over 80F. My keezer set at 34F and the overall pressure reading while in the keezer is right at ONE HALF of what it was at room (man cave) temp. Glad to know this, thank you all!!

Back