Losing carbonation in bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlapjackAM

Reaction score
Hello. This is the first question I've had I haven't readily found an answer to here; I'm on my seventh batch of beer currently and they have all come out well, however I've noticed that my last three or so (I'm rotating drinking them) have seemed like they're losing carbonation as they sit in the refrigerator. Does anyone know what would cause this? is the temp killing the carbonation or is the seal not strong enough? Just confused because it starts out so well and slowly loses it over the a few weeks. Generally give it two weeks at room temp before putting in fridge.

What kind of bottles are you using? Twist-offs can leak. I've never had non-twist-offs leak. Another fairly common cause is not mixing your priming sugar into your bottling bucket well enough, so you end up with some bottles that are over carb'd, some just right, and some under carb'd. If you're not using twist-offs and your capper is in good shape, it's most likely an issue with not mixing your priming sugar.

I'm not using twist-offs. You could be right about the priming but I do the standard 'rack onto priming solution' trick, so I'm not sure how I could mix it in better without stirring. Strange.

Upon further research I think it's actually a head retention issue as opposed to carbonation; though why that would start out great and slowly become almost non-existent is a puzzler. Thoughts anyone? I'm at a loss.

Give it one month before you put it in the fridge and marvel at how much of an improvement you see.

Tried to drink one straight from the bottle and a decent amount if foam seems to be forming. Glassware issue perhaps?

FlapjackAM said:
Tried to drink one straight from the bottle and a decent amount if foam seems to be forming. Glassware issue perhaps?

Straight from the bottle, from the fridge? Or from conditioning?

From the fridge, been in there for a few days after a little over two weeks carbonating. Same story with the two batches that have been sitting in my room for a month or two.

Back