Looking to upgrade from glass carboy for fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjanson

Reaction score
So the original kit I received as a gift came with 6.5 and 5 gallon glass carboys. While I'm certainly still in the process of learning about and getting good at brewing, I'm definitely ready to change these guys out for something better.

After plenty of reading and trial and error on my part, I've come to the conclusion that I don't need the extra hassle/variability of secondary fermentation, so the goal is to get down to just one size of fermenter. Though I would prefer to have a couple of them, so I can have more brews going simultaneously.

One of the prime differentiating features I would like to have is a spigot for taking samples and filling bottles. Aside from that, I would like it to be lighter weight and easier to clean.

Some of the models I've looked at and would like input on:

SS Brew Bucket. It's a sweet looking unit and has all the features, but at that price I'd be limited to one of them. At least for now.

Speidel Plastic Fermenter. Plastic, big opening, has spigot.

Big Mouth Bubbler EVO 2 PLastic. Same as above, but a bit cheaper.

Assuming I have the budget to buy two of either the Speidel or the BMB, which would you go with? Why? Is there another or better option I've missed? Or is there any reason to take the plunge and get just one SS Brew Bucket?

I'm currently brewing BIAB in a 10gallon SS Brewtech kettle, if that has any bearing on the suggestions.

How much do you drink? If moderately, one fermenter and three kegs (to lager/condition, carb, drink) should do. I'd go stainless.

So the original kit I received as a gift came with 6.5 and 5 gallon glass carboys. While I'm certainly still in the process of learning about and getting good at brewing, I'm definitely ready to change these guys out for something better.

After plenty of reading and trial and error on my part, I've come to the conclusion that I don't need the extra hassle/variability of secondary fermentation, so the goal is to get down to just one size of fermenter. Though I would prefer to have a couple of them, so I can have more brews going simultaneously.

One of the prime differentiating features I would like to have is a spigot for taking samples and filling bottles. Aside from that, I would like it to be lighter weight and easier to clean.

Some of the models I've looked at and would like input on:

SS Brew Bucket. It's a sweet looking unit and has all the features, but at that price I'd be limited to one of them. At least for now.

Speidel Plastic Fermenter. Plastic, big opening, has spigot.

Big Mouth Bubbler EVO 2 PLastic. Same as above, but a bit cheaper.

Assuming I have the budget to buy two of either the Speidel or the BMB, which would you go with? Why? Is there another or better option I've missed? Or is there any reason to take the plunge and get just one SS Brew Bucket?

I'm currently brewing BIAB in a 10gallon SS Brewtech kettle, if that has any bearing on the suggestions.

I have all of those, except Spiedel. I have fermented in a bucket (have one going now, just for fun), in kegs, in glass (I started with glass and still have 2 glass carboys), PET plastic (Better Bottle/Big Mouth).

If I were to only have one type of fermenter, I would go with... (drum roll, please)...

7 Gallon Fermonster.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/f...oVQw78vVYM11jTbEQyGej3CDOEtdgcTBj8aAqHe8P8HAQ

It's basically the same price as glass or Better bottle.
It has a YUUUGE opening with a very nice cap system to seal it (o-ring and everything). I am doing a batch with my bucket now and I always had an issue with buckets that you can never and I mean NEVER be sure you seal those - the lid is buckling so I know there is pressure, and I know its fermenting actively, but the airlock is not moving. So there are micro-leaks somewhere. To me it's a problem once fermentation stops and air starts getting in.

Big opening means you can easily add hops, fruit, you name it. This has been an issue with glass carboys and even better bottles/big mouth bubblers.

It's fully transparent unlike Siedel. I don't like fermenting in kegs or any other stainless steel containers (and I have tried it several times and really tried to like it) is because I need, no - I *MUST* see the fermentation process in all its glory. I know some will disagree, they like to pitch yeast, forget about the beer and come back 2 weeks later and assume it's done, but to me - seeing is believing and it's half of the fun of brewing, but it also allows me to see living organisms creating the beer and krausen, and traub and yeast activity in all its glory as it forms. Otherwise it's like diagnosing a patient over the phone, instead of seeing them in person. Same negatives apply to buckets by the way, big way. Can't see, can't seal them with any confidence, and they are oxygen permeable for long term (not a big issue but still).

I still like Better Bottle for their 3G fermentors. I have 5 of thossse and they are awesome. I like splitting batches and doing experiments with different fruit or hop or oak or wine/bourbon additions, you name it. But for straight up 5G batches, you will want 7G Fermonster.

It's larger in volume than most fermentors so blowoff and rising krausen is not as much of an issue. And it's designed really well.

My only downslide is that I cannot use the standard sterile siphon for Fermonsters (can only use them for carboys and better bottles) but I hope I can figure out some hack to solve this problem soon.

My advice, don't do a spigot (too much chance of grime / infection, cleaning hassle).

Get a wine thief: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0064O9BYW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

If I were to re-do all my fermenters, I'd go with Fermonsters, or something similar. Cheap, replaceable without high cost, and reliable. I age in champagne bottles, so no worries about plastic air permeability.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have all of those, except Spiedel. I have fermented in a bucket (have one going now, just for fun), in kegs, in glass (I started with glass and still have 2 glass carboys), PET plastic (Better Bottle/Big Mouth).

If I were to only have one type of fermenter, I would go with... (drum roll, please)...

7 Gallon Fermonster.

It's larger in volume than most fermentors so blowoff and rising krausen is not as much of an issue. And it's designed really well.

My only downslide is that I cannot use the standard sterile siphon for Fermonsters (can only use them for carboys and better bottles) but I hope I can figure out some hack to solve this problem soon.

Thanks for the detailed reply. I appreciate that info coming from someone with hands on experience with so many different vessels.

I've definitely considered the fermonster as well, and actually meant to list it with the others. The only drawback is having to take the lid off to do readings or for bottling. Doesn't having to take the lid off open you to the chance of contamination?

My advice, don't do a spigot (too much chance of grime / infection, cleaning hassle).

Get a wine thief: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0064O9BYW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

If I were to re-do all my fermenters, I'd go with Fermonsters, or something similar. Cheap, replaceable without high cost, and reliable. I age in champagne bottles, so no worries about plastic air permeability.

I've got one like that. It's currently useless as I can't get it deep enough into a 6.5 gal glass carboy to get a meaningful amount, so I end up pinching off some tubing and sticking it way down to get a sample. With a wide opening on a fermenter it would actually be useful again!

Doesn't taking the lid off for readings introduce roughly the same chance or more of contamination vs a possibly unclean spigot?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the detailed reply. I appreciate that info coming from someone with hands on experience with so many different vessels.

I've definitely considered the fermonster as well, and actually meant to list it with the others. The only drawback is having to take the lid off to do readings or for bottling. Doesn't having to take the lid off open you to the chance of contamination?

You need to sanitize wine thief or siphon anyways, so it's no different from any other system. You won't introduce much "contamination" if you follow standard sanitation. Besides, usually at transfer time the beer has high ABV and low pH and it's hard for most bugs to survive in it.

Oxidation is a bigger problem than contamination at that stage.

Anything with a spigot (I do own some buckets and Better Bottles with spigots by the way) still introduces air as you drain some liquid off - what do you think takes the place of the liquid you remove?

My problem with spigots, and they are convenient sometimes - is they must provide a way to control where you are draining from so you can drain just above the trub line - better bottle has a nice system in that regard, not so for buckets.

With siphon I have much more control of what I am draining, at what rate and how.

I think better bottles are very close second to Femonster by the way.
They are all PET and basically not oxygen permeable for all practical purposes.
My preference for Fermonsters is mostly that they are 7G instead of 6G or 6.5G, which allows for more krausen room; and that the opening is YUUGE, allowing for easier hopping, fruit/oak additions etc.

For smaller batches 3G better bottles are difficult to match.

7 Gallon Fermonster.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/f...oVQw78vVYM11jTbEQyGej3CDOEtdgcTBj8aAqHe8P8HAQ

It's basically the same price as glass or Better bottle.
It has a YUUUGE opening with a very nice cap system to seal it (o-ring and everything). I am doing a batch with my bucket now and I always had an issue with buckets that you can never and I mean NEVER be sure you seal those - the lid is buckling so I know there is pressure, and I know its fermenting actively, but the airlock is not moving. So there are micro-leaks somewhere. To me it's a problem once fermentation stops and air starts getting in.

Big opening means you can easily add hops, fruit, you name it. This has been an issue with glass carboys and even better bottles/big mouth bubblers.

It's fully transparent unlike Siedel. I don't like fermenting in kegs or any other stainless steel containers (and I have tried it several times and really tried to like it) is because I need, no - I *MUST* see the fermentation process in all its glory. I know some will disagree, they like to pitch yeast, forget about the beer and come back 2 weeks later and assume it's done, but to me - seeing is believing and it's half of the fun of brewing, but it also allows me to see living organisms creating the beer and krausen, and traub and yeast activity in all its glory as it forms. Otherwise it's like diagnosing a patient over the phone, instead of seeing them in person. Same negatives apply to buckets by the way, big way. Can't see, can't seal them with any confidence, and they are oxygen permeable for long term (not a big issue but still).

I still like Better Bottle for their 3G fermentors. I have 5 of thossse and they are awesome. I like splitting batches and doing experiments with different fruit or hop or oak or wine/bourbon additions, you name it. But for straight up 5G batches, you will want 7G Fermonster.

People that use stainless or fermentation vessels that aren't clear use hydrometer readings to find out when fermentation has finished..... you should be doing this even when using clear fermentors. I get that it's cool to see what's happening but that's about where it ends. I don't have to worry about uv light exposure with my conicals...

I think the SS Brew Bucket is a pretty good option. I have a 12g Blichmann conical now, but if I was to add another fermenter, it would be the Brew Bucket. This is one of those occasions where you are better off ponying up for something that will last.

Definitely, don't transfer beer into secondary containers. That just invites oxidation and staling. In fact, with the addition of a way to lightly pressurize your primary fermenter and kegging your beer, you have the opportunity to completely avoid oxygen contact for your beers by pushing beer into a pre-purged keg. I'm in the process of adding a ball-lock gas in fitting to my conical so that I'll be able to do just that.

People that use stainless or fermentation vessels that aren't clear use hydrometer readings to find out when fermentation has finished..... you should be doing this even when using clear fermentors. I get that it's cool to see what's happening but that's about where it ends. I don't have to worry about uv light exposure with my conicals...

of course I use hydrometers/refractometers at numerous stages - but thats not the point.

I personally like to see visually what's happening to my beer (krausen, yeast activity, clarity, trub), and the visual cues are both part of the beauty of enjoying the yeast fermentation activity (and opaque fermenters would take away from this), and also indication of what it is going on with the beer.

Yes, I now even own brewometer which tells me what gravity of the wort is all the time - but these are cold hard numbers (I am a scientist so you would think that should be enough). But to me yeast activity is part of the nature, and I need to observe it on daily basis. The times I ferment in buckets or kegs (and I am doing it now) is a major bummer, I might as well outsource the whole process to someone else who will just update me on what final gravity of the beer was - what's the point? It's like going to Grand Canyon blindfolded and just have someone else tell you your elevation.

I realize not everyone is like that, but to me the process is part of the appeal of brewing. I like watching the boil, I like watching the cold break, the fermentation and even transfer. Others would rather outsource the whole brewing logistics to someone else, and just hand them the recipe and get a finished product in the end, but to me, the whole thing is an experience - from smelling and chewing on the grains and crushing them, to mashing, boiling, fermenting, packaging - its all great. Why would anyone deliberately deprive themselves of being part of the brewing process?

of course I use hydrometers/refractometers at numerous stages - but thats not the point.

I personally like to see visually what's happening to my beer (krausen, yeast activity, clarity, trub), and the visual cues are both part of the beauty of enjoying the yeast fermentation activity (and opaque fermenters would take away from this), and also indication of what it is going on with the beer.

Yes, I now even own brewometer which tells me what gravity of the wort is all the time - but these are cold hard numbers (I am a scientist so you would think that should be enough). But to me yeast activity is part of the nature, and I need to observe it on daily basis. The times I ferment in buckets or kegs (and I am doing it now) is a major bummer, I might as well outsource the whole process to someone else who will just update me on what final gravity of the beer was - what's the point? It's like going to Grand Canyon blindfolded and just have someone else tell you your elevation.

I realize not everyone is like that, but to me the process is part of the appeal of brewing. I like watching the boil, I like watching the cold break, the fermentation and even transfer. Others would rather outsource the whole brewing logistics to someone else, and just hand them the recipe and get a finished product in the end, but to me, the whole thing is an experience - from smelling and chewing on the grains and crushing them, to mashing, boiling, fermenting, packaging - its all great. Why would anyone deliberately deprive themselves of being part of the brewing process?

My point is you said people that ferment in non translucent fermentors just transfer in and wait two weeks and assume its done. As I said in my last post I get that its cool to see what happens during active fermentation.... to me I read it as I am doing more to control the process because I have eyes on it vs. Someone who can't see what's going on.

I guess as a Probrewer who fills 4 conicals a week and periodically checks gravity I took it personal.

I think op made a good purchase (one that you recommended)

I totally get where you're coming from. Maybe once I've brewed enough to have confidence in each phase I won't be worried about the visual aspect. But for now I'm right there with you in wanting to see the process as it happens.

I've used all of the standard vessels as fermentors (buckets, carboys, big mouth bubblers, Speidels, etc), but am happy to now use SS kegs, conicals, and two BMB buckets. But that's not the reason for my post. Here's a link to the best wine thief I've found:

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/Wine_Thief_Professional_Heavy_Duty_Glass_29-Inch.html

Sanitize, and one dip in the fermentor to fill your hydrometer jar. I hate going in three or four times with the little ones...

My point is you said people that ferment in non translucent fermentors just transfer in and wait two weeks and assume its done. As I said in my last post I get that its cool to see what happens during active fermentation.... to me I read it as I am doing more to control the process because I have eyes on it vs. Someone who can't see what's going on.

I guess as a Probrewer who fills 4 conicals a week and periodically checks gravity I took it personal.

I think op made a good purchase (one that you recommended)

I was somewhat sarcastic but I personally know so many brewers who don't measure anything - they just pitch, wait for 2 weeks and declare their beer done. Which drives me crazy!

I agree that perhaps watching the process is mostly cosmetic. But to me it's an important part of my process. I like to check on my yeasties every morning. My parents were farmers and I am a professional scientist, but I guess I am still a farmer at heart (but I do take ridiculous amount of notes of specific gravity, times, recipes, etc. - from the first recipe I ever made).

Pro brewers, and I don't envy you - have a very different job though.
Your job must be so much about quality control, there is no way I could do it right while enjoying it. Kudos to you guys!

I like to do crazy experiments, and to me that's what brewing is all about.

That and the whole brewing process which to me is still a bit of black magic - you start with some grain, and you end up with delicious beer. Who would have thunk?

Bottom line - at small scale that I am at - I am a weirdo who "likes to watch". Without it, all the brewing and cleaning is somehow not worth it, on emotional level. Even though I could produce excellent beers blindly, for sure.

I totally get where you're coming from. Maybe once I've brewed enough to have confidence in each phase I won't be worried about the visual aspect. But for now I'm right there with you in wanting to see the process as it happens.

I brewed enough that I am confident in my gravity readings. It's difficult to explain but it's more like - you have seen the ocean many times before, right? Would you be Ok never seeing it again but instead having someone describe the density of salt water to you instead? Would you rather go to the Louvre or have someone else plot you a histogram of RGB vales from Mona Lisa? To me the process of fermentation is still amazing enough that I must witness it every time.

But I agree with you overall. You can stick your beer in a dark, opaque container and once it reached FG you wanted, you can bottle or keg it, no visual inspection is required.

+1 for the brewbucket. I liked mine so much i bought a second. Cleaning is a no brainer and not near the hassle i thought it would be.

+1 for the brewbucket. I liked mine so much i bought a second. Cleaning is a no brainer and not near the hassle i thought it would be.

One thing I do know is that I will never be done buying new gear, so I will keep the brewbucket on my radar.

Back