Looking for this recipe ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beercheer4me

Reaction score
Anyone ever heard of a Murphy's Irish Stout?
Its a bother or cousin to a guiness I think ?
It was smooth and White creamie thick head.
In fact the head took a while to settle to the top like a guiness
I am looking for this recipe in a extract ,,,clone
I dont have an all -grain setup YET.....
but it is coming ,Got one 15.5 keg and going to build a stand shortly
but its a start in right direction.

Jamil's recipe is close. You need to do it as partial mash, but it's fairly easy to do: steep the flaked and roasted barley with 2 lbs of 2-row at 150F for 90 minutes, and replace the rest of the pale malt with 3.6 lbs of liquid malt extract.

Irish dry stouts are generally served on a blend of nitrogen and CO2 through a special faucet that helps to produce that creamy, long lasting head. It lasts so long (as I understand it) is because the gas in the bubbles in closer to the composition of air. Without this you won't have the same head or mouthfeel. You can mimic the effect somewhat by aiming for low carbonation and giving the beer a really hard/foamy pour.

As for the recipe extract is going to be tough because one of the classic components of the style is some flaked barley which needs to be mashed with some enzymatic basemalt. Roasted barley is going to give you the color, and it can be steeped.

Here is a thread with an all-grain recipe: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/murphys-irish-stout-clone-94434/ you can swap out the pale malt and flaked barley for enough pale extract to hit your gravity. Adjust the hops for your boil size and AA% (any English variety will be fine since it is just for bittering). I'd ferment with US-05 to ensure complete attenuation of the extract.

Irish dry stouts are generally served on a blend of nitrogen and CO2.
Can you explain this,
I have both Tanks ,but I only use CO2 for kegging .
I have a Nitrogen steel small welding tank that has some in it the size is a Q.
How would I get the Ratio's and how would you mix the to.
I am new to brewing and only with 6 extracts brew I am really into this.
I never thought there was so much into brewing and it never stops,
weather it be a better mouse trap to reciepts ,
I am really looking for a well thought out plans for a two or there tier brewing stand , neding burners and everything , I am a maintenance machanic and can and will build this myself just wanting to get some well thought out plans because I dont want to reinvent the wheel ,if u know what i mean !!!!!
Just wanting to build it once and get on with brewing stouts and porters and everything else that might be fun and good to drink, wanting to get away with buying kits their to costly and wanting to leane more about ALL_grain .
cost less and opens the door to more options.
Thanks jh

Back