Looking for the "Perfect" Craft Brew Pub in London

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beechnut

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A little help? I just arranged to be in London U.K. at New Years to meet up with an old buddy and family!
I've never been there and I am itching to taste some authentic local beer!:mug:
We will be in the vicinity of St. John's Wood. Does anyone know of any great craft breweries in the area making fresh beer on or near the pub?

Thanks in advance.

We will be in the vicinity of St. John's Wood. Does anyone know of any great craft breweries in the area making fresh beer on or near the pub?

Thanks in advance.

Isn't that near Chalk Farm? Camden had a few good breweries but that was 20 yrs ago. Yelp and the likes offer no options?
Used to live in SE9 4JB.

GerritT,
It just northwest of Regent's Park. I will follow up on Yelp but I'm hoping to hear from some of our beer enthusiasts here on the forum.

Thanks for the input. I hope to try a few excellent beers from your neighborhood someday!

There are some great pubs in London but you might need to travel a bit further to find the better ones. The area you're staying in is lovely but I never ventured that way for beers.

If you head to Camden then there's a Brewdog bar, which serves Brewdog and other guest beers. Probably the best offering in Camden.
If you go south instead to Marylebone then there's a new pub called "The Globe" that has a reasonable selection but it's quite small.

Other (better) options a bit further away: Fitzrovia - Draft House; Holborn - The Holborn Whippet, The Craft Beer Co; Kings Cross - The Queen's Head; Angel - Tap Room. Those would be by top choices.

If you have time and want to visit the Breweries themselves then a few do run taprooms but mostly on Saturdays. Sadly The Kernel no longer operates a taproom but top of the London breweries for me would be Beavertown, which is based in Tottenham. Well worth a visit.

Finally, if you want to top up on cans/bottles then Kris Wines near Holloway has one of the best selections of both local and world beers to takeaway (no drinking on site).

If you're going to the UK you may as well go full native and hunt out good cask ales. The Harp on Chandos Place near Trafalgar Square used to be the place to go a few years back. I haven't lived there in a while but the reviews online suggest it still does the 'real ale' thing better than most. It was the pub that converted me from cold and fizzy to cask ales!

Live near and work in London. I do most of my drinking around shorditch though as that is where I work. There are some good beer bars around there but there is also the Tottenham beer mile (including beavertown) and the Bermondsey beer mile (including four pure, kernel and partizan) that are both worth checking out if you can’t. I’ll ask around at work, see if I get any other recommendations and pass them on.

If you're going to the UK you may as well go full native and hunt out good cask ales. The Harp on Chandos Place near Trafalgar Square used to be the place to go a few years back. I haven't lived there in a while but the reviews online suggest it still does the 'real ale' thing better than most. It was the pub that converted me from cold and fizzy to cask ales!

I think I have even been there twice and never had something else than cider and whiskey... Shame on me.

I would love to here about additional recommendations, so please keep them coming :)

I liked the brewdog pubs. They got good pub food and a good selection of fresh beer. If they represent the local beer well I cannot say though.

Last edited:
Hi, im from london and would be happy to point you in the right direction.

There are tons of great craft brew pubs. However, wether they are local brews is a different story. They tend to sell a wide selection of fantastic british beers though. You will stumble across a few local products though.

We have a brewdog in soho which is a pretty standard craft beer joint (im sure you’ve heard of them) they do sell some pretty nice beers. There is a place in farringdon called the craft beer company which is great, great selection. Theres also a great place in temple called the temple brew house. Theres also a place called euston tap which i’ve never actually been too but a lot of my friends enjoy it there. We have a beavertown which im sure you’ve heard of, love it there, its on mill mead road. Whenever im in hoxton i always pay a visit to the old fountain, again, nice selection there. Oh yeah and visit stormbird in camberwell! Thats a favourite of pretty much everyone.

To be honest i could list places all day.. those are some good ones that I can think of off the top of my head. Honestly though, you can literally walk around most parts of london and you’ll probably stumple across a pub every few buildings! Wherever you are, just do a quick google search of craft beer near you and im sure something will come up! I usually drink around shoreditch, covent garden, camden areas but theres endless places to visit.

Now, if you want to come a little bit out of london I would highly suggest taking a trip to Marlow. Theres a brewery there called the marlow brewery and it was started by two guys who lost their jobs, started brewing beer, became pros and now supply beer all around the country. They make some fantastic beers, a new one for every month plus some all year rounders. If you go there you can take a tour around their brewery and then sit drinking their beer all day! They have a great shop too and you can get some beer bottled up fresh to take away with you. Marlow isn’t hard to get too. You just need to get to paddington and jump on the train to maidenhead and then from there to marlow. Or you could just jump in a cab. It should only take an hour/ hour and a half id think and their beer doesnt get much more local. I may be wrong but im pretty certain they brew with the local water and use grain grown on the farm next door. Bery traditional brewery, no filtering/ pasturizing.

Shoot me a message if you need to know anything else regarding london.
Hope you enjoy your visit.

Imho the problem is not so much where for great beer as it is which great beer where. The country if full of odd little pubs that brew. Sadly you don't have enough time. 40 years ain't enough time.

Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions! We Stayed in Marlybone on Chiltern just around the corner from The Globe at Baker Street station. There were a ton of great pubs within walking distance of our flat. Some honorable mentions were the Red Lion Pub, The George Pub and the Coach Makers. I really enjoyed the wide selection of beer styles. Way too many to mention. One stand out for me was Curious Brew Lager from Kent. Thanks again for all of your great suggestions. London was a great trip and excellent brews!

Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions! We Stayed in Marlybone on Chiltern just around the corner from The Globe at Baker Street station. There were a ton of great pubs within walking distance of our flat. Some honorable mentions were the Red Lion Pub, The George Pub and the Coach Makers. I really enjoyed the wide selection of beer styles. Way too many to mention. One stand out for me was Curious Brew Lager from Kent. Thanks again for all of your great suggestions. London was a great trip and excellent brews!
Was it the one that was finished with champagne yeast? Tastes can be so different :D I had one the other day and I thought it is a pretty boring and standard lager :D

Glad you enjoyed your stay and our brews :D

Was it the one that was finished with champagne yeast? Tastes can be so different :D I had one the other day and I thought it is a pretty boring and standard lager :D

It probably is a bit boring as a standard lager! I guess that is what my taste buds were into that night. But for me, a nice clean tasting lager can be refreshing! I'm willing to give it another try and see if I despise it! Are you interested in sponsoring another brew trip to London! Thanks for your post. :cask:

Just as a titbit, The Red Lion is the most popular pub name in Britain. I think everyone in the country will know the location of a Red Lion. I think there are over 600!

Just as a titbit, The Red Lion is the most popular pub name in Britain. I think everyone in the country will know the location of a Red Lion. I think there are over 600!

LOL! Sorry! It was my first trip to London. This one was near the Churchill bunker museum and it was reported that it was one that he frequented. That's the best I can do. It was a very comfortable place with great pies. As I recall the main beers on tap there were a selection of Fullers. Probably routine fair for you!

I have 4 red lion pubs and a hotel called the red lion, all within a 15 minute drive of me :p

LOL! Sorry! It was my first trip to London. This one was near the Churchill bunker museum and it was reported that it was one that he frequented. That's the best I can do. It was a very comfortable place with great pies. As I recall the main beers on tap there were a selection of Fullers. Probably routine fair for you!

Ohh yeah, pies are the dream in British pubs! Up North we also tend to have what we call Lobby which is basically a beef stew that they serve with crusty bread. A typical working class meal but goes exceptionally well with the winter weather and a good ale :)

Latest posts

Back