Looking for the best all around cider brewing book for the old man

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremybwilson

Reaction score
As much as I want to rely on Amazon ratings, I'd rather get some feedback here and head for the local HBS. I live in Seattle, I don't need any more Amazon in my life as it is. ;)

I'll buck the trend and say Andrew Lea's book. Or Proulx/Nichols if he doesn't want to get technical.

But that's just being contrary. Claude's book is great, but he likes numbers as much as the process. Not sure if that's a pro or con for your dad. But you'll also never need another cider production book.

In my opinion, Lea is perhaps the most knowledgeable cider maker in the world and Jolicoeur is perhaps the best cider maker in North America. Jolicoeur's focus on numbers is not at the heart of his writing but those metrics are what undergirds quality cider.

It's worth noting that both Lea and Jolicoeur are firmly on the side of "use good apples/pears bred for fermenting instead of eating and don't add anything else ever.". If your dad will want to experiment by adding berries, other fruit, pepper, hops, whatever-maybe get a book by somebody with a beer background, and not a wine process&product like Lea and Jolicoeur advocate. If your dad will just be buying juice there might not be as much value in those two books. Who push that cider starts with planting trees and controlling every step of the agricultural process from there.

Beer people are definitely more cavalier.

Back