Looking for suggestions brewing with Cascade, Nugget and Crystal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gosolo

Reaction score
I’m currently only doing extract brewing in 5gal batches with specialty grains. This spring, I’m planting the hops listed above. I already have the hops in pots, and they are growing really well
What I would like, and what I am here to ask you for, is suggestions for some recipes that exclusively use these varieties. Really excited about brewing with stuff I have grown!
My local HBS is very well stocked and helpful.
Thanks in advance!

I don't have any experience using Nugget, but Cascade is a lovely clean bittering hop that can add some nice citrusy notes if added late in the boil or dry hop, and makes a great APA using it exclusively. Crystal is one of my always-on-hand hops; I use it as a late addition (with Cascade or Comet for bittering) in my house lager and it turns out great. It's also a great late addition hop in APA's for a nice sweet citrusy flavor, and pairs well with the more piney/earthy hops like Chinook or Willamette. Crystal is also one of the cheaper hops to buy in bulk, since it isn't really in "vogue" right now.

If I were to use the cascade, exclusively, as you suggest, could you recommend a hopping schedule for a typical 60 minute boil?

For a typical 5 gallon APA I'd go with 1oz at 60, then 1oz additions at 10, 5, and flameout. That should give it a nice bitterness with some good flavor/aroma.

One suggestion I got, from a guy at the LHBS, was:
1oz Nugget @ 60 minutes
1oz Nugget @ 30 minutes
1oz ea, Cascade & Crystal @ 15 min
1oz ea, Cascade & Crystal @ 5 min
What do you think about this?

Back