Looking for hop storage container recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kegerators

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brew lots of IPA which requires multiple hop additions at different intervals of the boil. Sometime 6-9 additions portioned out to be added at different times.

I'm wanting to use some type of jumbo pill box or flip top storage container to weigh out my pellet hops and store them before brew day. Then during the brew, I can just pop the tops and dump them in as needed. Seems like a good way to eliminate scales and hop bags all over the place while brewing.

Thoughts? I know it may seems silly to some, but I really like to get as much stuff prepped the day before... crush grains, clean equipment and get the yeast starter going.

Any suggestions on different containers/pill box/storage flip boxes?

Saw someone post this on another site and looks promising. It need large compartments and I would like there to be at least 9 compartments. Would be cool to have a way to mark the time intervals on the box lid too.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...eASIN=B00511X29Y&linkCode=as2&tag=realbeer-20)

You might consider looking into flip top tackle boxes. Some are large enought to hold a couple lures in each compartment, which would be more then enough room for 1+ oz of hop pellets in each.

I use them all the time when kayak fishing. I am sure there is one out there with a flip top on each compartment. You might look at the tackle box selection at Academy or Cabelas in Buda. Bass Pro would be the ideal place to look if you are near one. I hear the RR store will not open until 2015. Good Luck!

We were watching our almost 1 year old grandson last weekend and our daughter brought powered formula in this sectioned plastic container with a top that rotated and a flip cap to pour it out. First thing that came to mind when I saw it was this would work great for hop additions on brew day. :D

I use a handful of tupperware that are all the same size, weigh them out starting with the final addition and then stack them inside each other working backwards. This way your first hop addition is on top and you work your way through it. I always try to throw my whirlfloc in with the appropriate container also so as not to forget it....

I use red solo cups, weight them all out while you are waiting for the boil to start. For my last brew, I had 4 different types of hops, so I weighed the total amount of each hop out into its own cup, then as I was waiting on each addition, I had another cup and added the total of each addition to that cup so that when it was time I can just walk over to the BK and dump the cup, back to the table to weigh out the next addition.

You could use Dixie cups. I just use very small Tupperware containers and take a few minutes to weigh hops while water is heating up for the mash or the boil.

+1 for Dixie cups. I write on them with a marker to indicate when to add them to the boil.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

dixie cups or solo cups work great. I now use portioning souffle cups from the restaurant I work at which have lids (sometimes called ramicans (sp?)). If you don't work at a place that uses these ask your favorite waitress at a restaurant you frequent, they're cheap as dirt and work like a dream.

Back