looking for ginger ideas/recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushman101

Reaction score
I'm wanting to make a ginger beer/drink, but not sure where to start.

Anyone got ideas, tips or recipes?

How simple or complex are you interests? Ginger beer/ale, beer made with ginger, cider?
Day drinker or high abv?

I am gearing up for a ginger hibiscus cider for memorial weekend. Need to find my notes.

cool. thanks.
Modified it a bit and we'll see what I get in a month

GINGER.jpg

I'm back.
My ginger beer is.....ok. It needs something. Maybe just needs carbed.
Gonna experiment and try this again

gingerbeer.jpg

Doesn't look like you followed that dude's "short ferment and bottle" method.
What was your recipe and process?

Separately, ginger root itself is a bit "hot" like a pepper...wondered how that would play as a bittering agent.

I'm wanting to make a ginger beer/drink, but not sure where to start.

Anyone got ideas, tips or recipes?
not sure myself but that sounds like I need to look into it as well. Leinenkugels puts out a cranberry ginger (a wheat beer if I had to guess) that tastes great around the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays . Might be worth a cloning.

Doesn't look like you followed that dude's "short ferment and bottle" method.
What was your recipe and process?

Separately, ginger root itself is a bit "hot" like a pepper...wondered how that would play as a bittering agent.

3 gallons water
3 cups of fresh grated ginger root
6 cup white sugar
6 cup dark brown sugar
2 squeezed lemons
Safale us 05

Start gravity =1.042
Finish gravity = 0.996

Took about 28 to ferment

Playing around with BeerSmith I came up with this. I haven’t tried it yet. Thinking about taking tomorrow off, so I might, if I can come up with an extra fermenter tonight. My plan is to peel the ginger, chop it up in a blender and put it in a grain sock for the boil. Depending on how hot it comes out I might add the ginger bag to the fermenter.

I love ginger, so I’m hoping it comes out hot.

Edit: haven’t decided between 05 or maybe a British ale yeast.

556CE75F-09D1-4909-B7DD-E3DACDB27591.png

Let me know how that works out for you.

The use of brown sugar and molasses is interesting. Maybe that will add some more depth to my recipe

Let me know how that works out for you.

The use of brown sugar and molasses is interesting. Maybe that will add some more depth to my recipe

Here is my thought. I want to make semi traditional, but able to last in the bottle or keg. Added the malt to make it more beer-ish.

Edit: And this this thread is where I got the idea from. Sorry, the wife an kid have been very distracting while typing!

Last edited:
Back