looking for electric valves for serving beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoodaleBrewing

Reaction score
Hello all. I Have a coke machine that I want to convert into a kegerator ( I guess it would be a venderator or kegvender if you will). From what I measure I can fit four 5 gallon cornies and four 2.5 or 3 gallon cornies if i build my shelves right but would only have room for 3-4 taps on the thing if i squeeze them in.

Yesterday I had the idea that I should try and find a way to wire up the buttons on the front to dispense the beer but that will require some good electric valves that wont cause a lot of foam. I could also have 6 kegs tapped at a time. I think I have a good way to get the beer to dispense right but I cant find a great solution for the valve issue. Any ideas of some that will work that wont break the bank also?

I have found valves that might work but I am unsure about the product causing lots of foam or the company being crappy.

this one is the most promising and looks like it should work but in the Q and A section I think they say it needs 14 psi to hold it shut (says 14 psia but I'm guessing thats a typo) .
http://www.coleparmer.com/Product/N...Q85Oxw_U6jHglVsv4y9e_s-JkBuZOXMDPcaAj6u8P8HAQ

Not sure, but I would think reducing the outlet to 1/8" (assuming your serving lines are 3/16") would tend to cause more foam than a valve that would allow full flow. Also, do you already have 24v control on your coke machine to operate that valve? If not, you might think about trying a water valve for a refrigerator. Here's one that would be 1/4" and 120v control (cheaper as well). http://www.ebay.com/itm/Refrigerato...57X10033-/381005742437?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

To reduce the chance of foam from the valve you might consider a pinch valve and tygon tubing. It should produce the least turbulence on open as it simply reverts to unrestricted tubing ID.

Back