Looking for brewing software or app suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captainkirk83

Reaction score
Looking for some help picking out brewing software.
I use all grain brew in a bag for 5 gallon batches. I need something to help with recipe formulation, ibu and such. I don't mind buying but free is always nice too.
Pc user but also have iPhone

I have used other free software in the past but when I really got serious about recipe formulation and repeatability, I bought BeerSmith. Take it from me, there is no comparison.

brewersfriend here. I just use the trials. create a new email every 5 batches. Maybe I will pay for it one day when I have the free funds.

Looking for some help picking out brewing software.
I use all grain brew in a bag for 5 gallon batches. I need something to help with recipe formulation, ibu and such. I don't mind buying but free is always nice too.
Pc user but also have iPhone
Hi. Another vote for Brewer's Friend (I like that it's in the cloud and I can access my recipes & data anywhere.) Ultimately, this is a Ford-Dodge-Chevy type of argument...all of them make good trucks, so it boils down to your preference/budget/skills. Ed
:mug:

Another vote for Brewtarget. I even have the database file configured to save into a dropbox folder so I can sync my recipes between my pc at home and work (you never know when you'll need to review a recipe). Dropbox versioning in case of a screwup is also helpful.

Probably the only thing I have read that the paid Beersmith has and this one doesn't is whirlpooling IBU calculation. I just wing those, doesn't seem to be worth paying just for that.

:off:

Another vote for Brewtarget. I even have the database file configured to save into a dropbox folder so I can sync my recipes between my pc at home and work (you never know when you'll need to review a recipe). Dropbox versioning in case of a screwup is also helpful..

Neat, what OS are you using? What file/files specifically do you back up?

Brewers Friend.

Couldn't live without it now.

Clean modern UI compared to others, easy to access from anywhere, easy to use recipe builder and calculators. I love being able to easily look back over all of my recipes in planning stages and ready to brew, and all of the notes I made on each brew day (temps, times, sg, etc..)

Beer design/IBU calculations-BeerSmith

Water Management-Bru'n Water

Yeast calculator-BrewUnited

Mostly it's what you are used to, but these are my go to programs. Takes some practice but YouTube videos really help get started.

I also like brewtarget. Its relatively simple, has style guidelines incorporated into it and you can tailor it to your own equipment. Other software suits tend to resemble the cockpit of a Boeing 747

Brewers Friend but have used Brewtarget as well. I paid for premium member on Brewers Friend which really is not very expensive, less than $2 per month average. I just like being able to access my recipes from any computer, phone etc.... When I am bored I just use my phone app and come up with new recipes, make changes etc....

I have been beta testing ezRecipe-RO. It's easy to use to predict mash pH, IBU, SRM and more plus it works on all computers and mobile devices too, which is great when I'm on the go.

Thought about replying in private but figured other people might like to read about it.

Doing the sync for Brewtarget on Windows using Dropbox. Although I'm sure it uses the same file-type (sqlite) for all the OSs it's compatible on. The file I backup/sync is called database.sqlite, and the option of where to save the database directory can be found at Tools > Options > Directories. You can choose a dropbox-synched directory there.

Got any more doubts shoot me a PM :mug:

Another vote for Brewers Friend. Love that it's cloud based and accessible from anywhere for me. I purchased Beersmith for Linux, but it's not to my liking. I have been playing with Brew Target...and I like it! Promising for sure. Since you're doing BIAB, you should also check out the Priceless piece. It's great for figuring water volumes and other nice features as well. https://pricelessbrewing.github.io/BiabCalc/#Advanced

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'll give brewtarget a try. If I don't like that I will probably pay for brewers friend subscription for computer. I've used that before and know the interface.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'll give brewtarget a try. If I don't like that I will probably pay for brewers friend subscription for computer. I've used that before and know the interface.

They got a new developer a short while ago, so the main recipe calculator is rather different from what it was a year or so ago, but the same general "feel".

brewersfriend here. I just use the trials. create a new email every 5 batches. Maybe I will pay for it one day when I have the free funds.

you can just print the recipes you've brewed and delete them. lol I paid since I want to have all my recipes in one place.

you can just print the recipes you've brewed and delete them. lol I paid since I want to have all my recipes in one place.

no, they are on to that. Cant delete recipes, can only add 5. Once you add 5 recipes. time to create a new email lol.

no, they are on to that. Cant delete recipes, can only add 5. Once you add 5 recipes. time to create a new email lol.

Or just pay for it.

You can afford brew equipment and to brew some multiple of 5 batches that requires you to keep switching emails but can't afford $14.99 per YEAR for this tool?

Or go back in and just edit the recipe?

thats what I do. I use my email, and SWMBO mail and that gives me 10 recipes to tinker with. After 4 years or so I've really only "saved" or stopped tinkering with 2 slots. The only thing I change within the program is the IBU percentage contributed from whirlpool and FW additions.

I use ubuntu linux... After launching brewtarget, I quit it, then copy the brewtarget directory in .config to my dropbox, then symlink to it...

For subsequent installs on other machines, I just link to the directory on Dropbox before starting the app...

$ cp -rp ~/.config/brewtarget ~/Dropbox/brewtarget
$ mv ~/.config/brewtarget ~/.config/brewtarget-save
$ ln -s ~/Dropbox/brewtarget ~/.config/brewtarget

All I want is a standalone app, and BrewPal was almost perfect for what I needed, including inventory. Unfortunately it seems to have been abandoned by its developer. The last update was over 2 years ago, and I've never received any reply to inquiries. It still works OK but there are some annoying glitches, like everything in the inventory appearing twice, it doesn't know about any of the yeasts that have appeared in the last 2-3 years, and it doesn't keep track of your brews.

It kind of surprises me that there doesn't seem to be anything else like it. Brewer's Friend has an app, but it doesn't stand-alone (you need a subscription to the computer version). BeerSmith seems overly complex and clumsy to use. What else is in this space?

E3727637-9328-4FC1-A7BD-EDF131C936E5.jpeg
I learned a long time ago that using anything other than a DIY Excel sheet means having to compromise on this, that, or the other.

I agree, spreadsheets do have their place in recipe design. While web based calculators run on just about any type of device, and don't require a software purchase, desktop versions using MS Excel are much more feature rich.

I've just launched a new app for iPhone and iPad called "Brewer!". It helps the creation and management of beer recipes. It calculates OG, FG, IBU, SRM and ABV in real time so you can check if it's matching styles (any BJCP 2015 style). It has pre-populated list of the most common hops, malts and yeasts. Please check it out on the App Store: http://bit.ly/brewerapp

I started a new thread for custom brewing software. Take a look and see what you think.

Latest posts

Back