Looking for advice on building a brew space

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

movet22

Reaction score
Bought a new house about a year ago and now that we're settled the wife has approved a 10'x10' space in the basement that can be finished for a brewery. I am looking for some advice from the community, but first the details:

Here is what I have from my past brewing:
- 15 gal BIAB set up from ebrewsupply (which I love)
- A pretty robust kegging set up
- A converted cheast freezer-into-a-keezer
- Copper CFC
- march pump

What I'm looking to accomplish with the new operation:
- I want to have all kegs essentially feed a set of mini growler/kegs so that I can have homebrew in the fridge and not need to spend extensive time in the cellar when not actively brewing
- I want to take temp control seriously, true ale temps, lagering, etc
- buying in bulk and being able to save by milling myself, etc
- looking to keep batches around 5 gal, would like to have 2-3 tapped at a time with 2-3 fermenting

My questions:
- First and foremost, basically I'm interested in knowing what you all would do differently in your setups if you could start again now with all you know
More specifically:
- I'd ideally use the keezer for lagering, but won't that be excessive for the size (lagering one fermenter with specific temps will not match another of a brew completed a week later, for example)?
- Fermenters: I'm looking at something like the anvil crucible to be able to get a couple early and add over time, but am I missing out by not going with something a little higher end?
- I'm interested in glycol chilling (especially DIY), but this seems very daunting, any experience with variable chilling across multiple fermenters on a (relative) budget? Can I repurpose the keezer to be the reservoir for glycol and circulate out of that?

I'm sure more will come up-- excited to dive back into the community!

Last edited:
I use a side by side for fermentation and lagerating. The freezer side holds 3 kegs on CO2 and the fridge side ferments 2 -6.5 Big Mouth's at different temps(have a heat wrap on the top shelf). I use a controller set at 33*on the freezer side and the cold bleeds over enough for fermenting a lager ~50* on the bottom and any other style on the top.

That being said,the most important and used piece of equipment is the stainless double sink with a sprayer, and drying boards on both sides. Think of the kitchen triangle when placing it.

Good looks on the sink-- I was looking at an extra large (~40'') utility sink, but will take a peek at stainless options as well.

Interesting use of the fridge, how warm does the heater wrap get the top fermenter?

I've recently gone through just about everything you mentioned. I'll be honest I'm too lazy to write it all out here, but if you want to jump in my discord channel sometime and we can chat and I can show you all that I've done, pitfalls I've overcome etc, happy to do so.

The heat wrap is a reptile heater with 2 layers of reflectex , so I think as high as you need. I've not had it over 72* since i do my kveiks on the table at ambient.

Back