Looking for advice on a recipe for something like TBBCs Reef Donkey or MIAs Mega Mix

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sleepy_D

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I’m hoping to make something similar to Tampa Bay Brewing Company's “Reef Donkey” or MIA’s “Mega Mix.” If you haven’t tried one of these, they are American pale ales with super fruity hops (and they’re awesome). TBBC has said they do reef donkey with citra, motueka, and ekuanot. I’m thinking of sticking with citra and motueka and subbing our ekuanot for a different New Zealand hop (maybe riwaka or Rakou). My tentative plan is bitter with .5 oz citra at 60 and then do everything else in the whirlpool and dry hop to get a ton of hop character without a ton of bitterness. Half oz of citra at 60 should get me to 20 ibus and then I figured I’d do 16-17 more with late additions. Has anyone tried to make something like these before? Does this sound like a good plan? Should I have some 10 & 5 min additions instead of just whirlpool and dry hopping?

I have had both and I think there is a bit more bitterness with Reef Donkey. Maybe an ounce of Chinook at 60 would give the right bitterness. Mega Mix is definitely big fruitiness, I do think a 10 minute addition would help with a little added bitterness.
What yeast are you planning to use? I would think Chico would be what they are using.

I have had both and I think there is a bit more bitterness with Reef Donkey. Maybe an ounce of Chinook at 60 would give the right bitterness. Mega Mix is definitely big fruitiness, I do think a 10 minute addition would help with a little added bitterness.
What yeast are you planning to use? I would think Chico would be what they are using.
Yea I was probably going to throw some US05 in it. Considered doing one of the fruitier kveik strains as well

I think the Mega Mix with a fruity Kviek strain would be really good. Let us know how it turns out!

Did you ever come up with a recipe for reef donkey? Its one of my favorite IPA's and am looking into making that next.
I did not! Haven’t tried to make something like that yet. My plan was to use some pretty basic APA grain bill, not too sure exactly what to use there or if it matters all that much. Maybe 15 IBUs at 60 and then a big whirlpool addition at 170ish and a big dry hop. Found something that said they use citra, motueka, and ekuanot and I’ve also heard it’s a good rule of thumb to do 3:2:1 for hop mixes so I was going to try those hops in that order. Not sure if 3 oz citra, 2 oz motueka, 1 oz ekuanot for whirlpool and dry hop would be way too much but might at least try that ratio. You should try to make it and let me know how it turns out!

A former MIA brewer in my homebrew club says it was galaxy, mosaic and citra when he was there. But that's a few years ago.

Back