Looking for advice on a leaking barrel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oceanic_brew

Reaction score
I bought a new American oak barrel a little over a month ago from a supplier in Ontario Canada. When the barrel arrived everything seemed good and tight so I stored the barrel for a week until I was ready to fill it.

A few days before filling I conditioned the barrel using the hot water method and could not get the barrel to seal. It took three more nights of hot water but did not seal, at that point I had to go on a trip for 4 days so I filled it completely full of water and left to come home to a very small leak. That night I filled it 1/3 the way full with hot water and fortunately achieved a complete seal the next day.

My plan was to fill the barrel with merlot wine for a few weeks while I was waiting for a Belgian tripple to be ready. After the wine had been sitting in the barrel leak free for nearly a month I come home to find this View attachment 420540

The supplier has been very good with me so far giving good advice along the way but I really don't have faith in this barrel holding 11 gallons of beer. This thing cost nearly $300 CAN

How would you guys deal with this situation?

Barrels seep, part of the nature of the beast... up the humidity in the room it is stored it maybe? I see you are in Canada and heating season has kicked in dropping in house humidity(I am in MN...)

Latest posts

Back