Looking for a simplistic recipe to get started

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Next time consult a chaptalization calculator (helps you determine amount of sugar to add to reach a particular concentration). That amount of sugar in 500mL will produce about 70 Brix. That’s about 1.355 SG. Way, way beyond the range of wine or beer in terms of starting gravity.

This being said, You now most likely have a very sweet but also very alcoholic beverage.

You can always add more water. And maybe some dried hibiscus or tamarind or sour mango or whatever strong flavored fruit is available there to give it some taste.

You could brew Kvass. It's a very simple brew using dark rye bread toast, sugar, and yeast. I used to make it with wild yeast.

It would take 3 days to ferment if I used a wild yeast starter, 7 days if I just let wild yeast from the air ferment it. Some people use baking yeast.

I used 4 slices of very darkly toasted dark rye bread, 1/2 cup of sugar, and a half gallon of warm water per batch.

It tastes like a mildly fermented lemonade to me.

Latest posts

Back