Looking for a little help with my water profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unearthly

Reaction score
I just sent out my tap water to ward labs and just received my report back today...... I mostly make IIPA and IPA and am looking for a little assistance in getting my water profile squared away to better suit my beers. Any assistance would be much appreciated! Cheers!

pH 7.8
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est, ppm 589
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 0.98
Cations / Anions, me/L 9.9 / 10.2
ppm
Sodium, Na 87
Potassium, K 3
Calcium, Ca 94
Magnesium, Mg 17
Total Hardness, CaCO3 306
Nitrate, NO3-N 1.0 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4-S 6
Chloride, Cl 163
Carbonate, CO3 < 1.0
Bicarbonate, HCO3 309
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 255
Total Phosphorus, P 0.04
Total Iron, Fe < 0.01
"<" - Not Detected / Below Detection Limit

It doesn't look too good for that water. The mineralization is fairly high and the composition is not well suited for beer. This is one I would punt on. I recommend exploring a RO system to give you more suited brewing water.

Not what I was looking to hear..... We have a natural spring in the area that I was using for brew water.... I decided to have my tap water tested to see if I could just use from the tap instead of taking the drive to get the spring water..... Looks like its back to the drawing board. Thanks for the responses guys!

No its a natural spring that is about a half hour from my house. Constant running water year round... I should have just sent it for testing instead of my tap water.

Back