Looking for a kit beer that ages well

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowbeast

Reaction score
I've moved country and sold my extract brewing kit, so I will go back to kit brews.

I'm planning on getting one on Christmas and if all goes well I should start basic training for the armed forces in early February.

Looking at timings, I'll have enough to bottle and condition for 2 weeks, but I won't drink 40 pints just before basics, which is 10 weeks then 20 weeks phase 2.

I'd like to brew something that will age over time so when I come home every couple of weeks I can taste a change.

Any suggestions on a kit beer capable of aging?

I'm currently saving for a grainfather or similar all in one system purely as time and space is very limited.

:cheers:

Any beer with Brettanomyces ages well, if you like the Brett flavor.

Otherwise, heavy beers like big stouts and quads tend to handle oxidation gracefully, if you like the changes that oxidation brings.

Almost any ale that does not feature dry hopping will keep just fine for many months. My darker beers even improve with age. Just avoid an IPA or pale ale as the hop aroma will fade with that much time.

Dark beers age well.

I've got a British Strong Ale I brewed four months ago. It's changed a lot in the three months it's been bottled.

All the Best,
D. White

Back