Looking for a Hoppy Stout Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bender_Braus_Brewing

Reaction score
So, my first beer, an IPA, is currently in the fermenter, and about a week or so out from being bottled.

So..... its time to start thinking about my second beer.

I'm interested in doing a very hoppy stout. Possibly a decent bitter stout with a high ABV (10-11% range perhaps?). This one being based on Zoidberg, I want to go with a heavy, bitter stout.

Any suggestions or starting places to look for something akin to this? Is this a good idea of a beer for a second brew?

Found this on BeerSmith:

http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/516887/michael-lewis-west-coast-stout-5-gallon

Looking for something, SLIGHTLY, similar. Possibly higher ABV.

For those not clicking the link; the above recipe is:

Ingredients Amount Name Type #
23 lbs 15.14 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1
4 lbs 7.84 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 2
1 lbs 5.55 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 3
5.45 oz Cascade [5.5%] - Boil 60 min Hops 4
5.16 oz Cluster [7.0%] - Boil 60 min Hops 5
1 pkgs Irish Dry Stout (Brewtek #CL-0240) Yeast 6

Says its a 108IBU and 7.3%ABV.

Its also an 11Gallon batch. (Well, 10.57). I need one for 5G. The IBU seems to be about what I'm going for, but I'd like to pump up the ABV to around 10-11%.

Any suggestions?

Ok, here's a take on an Imperial Stout. Took a recipe I found on BeerSmith's website, and threw some more hops into it. What does everyone think:

Pale Malt (2 Row) ----------- 16 Lbs
Caramel / Crystal Malt (60L) - 1 Lb
Chocolate Malt ------------- 2 lbs
Oats, Flaked --------------- 1 lb
Caramel/Crystal Malt (120L) - 8 oz
Smoked Malt --------------- 1 lb
Special Roast -------------- 8 oz
Black (Patent) Malt -------- 4 oz
Honey Malt ---------------- 4 oz
Rye, Flaked ---------------- 4 oz
Molasses ------------------ 6.4 oz
Chinook ------------------- 1 oz (60Min Boil)
Nugget ------------------- 3 oz (60Min Boil)
Fuggles ------------------ 1 oz (60Min Boil)
Galena ------------------- 2 oz (30Min Boil)
Whirflock Tablet ------- 1
Goldings ----------------- 0.5 oz (15Min Boil)
Chinook ------------------ 1 oz (5Min Boil)
Nugget ------------------ 1 oz (5Min Boil)
Galena ------------------ 1 oz (5Min Boil)
English Ale (White Labs) (WLP002) ---- 1 Package (Maybe 2? Packages?)

What's everyone think of this? Too much hops? Too much malts?

The recipe I'm sort of cribbing from (changed a few things, like 1 less lb of Pale Malt, and added 1 lb more of Chocolate Malts..... and threw in a LOT more hops), has it at 48.4IBU and 11.3%ABV (if OG/SG is hit).

I'm hoping my additions of Nugget (original recipe had no Nugget), and extra additions of Galena and Chinook will add to the bitterness/IBU's. (Was interesting, was looking at bittering hops to add, and selected Galena because I also like the flavor and then looked back at the recipe list and saw Galena was selected already.) Was tempted to also add Comet, but decided not to.

So what's everyone think? Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

One of my favorite dark brews is Founder's robust porter, blurring the lines between stout and porter. It's around 40IBU and pours on the heavy side with an ABV around 7%. It hides the alcohol content very well.
Is it good? Yes, I think so, but it isn't dry or high ABV. With something over 10%, be prepared to let the brew you're planning on age somewhat.

Yea, I want it hoppy/bitter/dark/heavy. That's how Zoidberg comes off to me, so this should personify him pretty well.

If you're going to mod an existing recipe to get it more hoppy - I would advise (first time) to only increase the late additions (last 10 mins or later) - esp. not the 60 minute ones

You'll keep the original bitterness that way and boost the hop flavour up - another way is to keep the original recipe exact and dry hop or double the dry hop if it already has one

Also with high gravity brews I recommend you put a blow off tube on from the start and keep it on the cool side of the yeast range for first week (17C or something)

I think I would drop the black patent, honey malt, and molasses, and add roasted barley. Also why three different hops @ 60. Use one hop to bitter 1/2 or more of your IBU's use the others later for the flavor/aroma and remaining IBU's.

I think I would drop the black patent, honey malt, and molasses, and add roasted barley. Also why three different hops @ 60. Use one hop to bitter 1/2 or more of your IBU's use the others later for the flavor/aroma and remaining IBU's.

+1

Only being your second brew, you're getting into some "heavy" stuff with this. What do you want from the hops, bitterness or flavor/aroma? As the above poster stated there's no reason for multiple bittering hop additions, many would say use whatever has the highest AA's and use that to get you to the IBU's you're looking for.

You're going to need at least a few packs of yeast or a good starter for the yeast, make sure the strain you go with can handle 10-11%, some that are listed as having less tolerance could get you there but you might get some off flavors from it.

The recipe you posted has 9 different specialty grains making up 28% of the grain bill, not that it can't be done but that's pretty busy, especially with the molasses addition.
I like the Double W recipe from here, https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=74932, start with a grain bill like that. Then simply increase the Warrior hops if you just want more bitterness. If you want some flavor/aroma which will be difficult to get from hops in a beer like this then add some hefty amounts of hops that have the flavor/aroma profile you're looking for.

I would just say that flavor/aroma hops can yield different results in big roasty beers than they do in Pales, IPA's, Wheats, etc.

Thank you all for the notes, and criticisms and critiques. Very much appreciated!

Thank you all for the insight on the 60Min hops. Didn't think of it that way before. But that's a very good point.

I am definitely going for bitterness over aroma/flavor. That's the main goal for upping the IBUs and the hop character of the beer; to be much much more on the bitter side than the aromatic/flavorful side of things (as far as the hops go).

I think Fuggles, Nugget, Willamette, Warrior, and Galena provide the best bittering. Especially Nugget, Warrior, and Galena for Stouts. I like Fuggles for Porters, but they work ok for stouts too.

Back