looking for a "girly-beer" recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabrew

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So here's the story, my gf began taking interest in my brewing. She loves to brew but is not fond of the taste of beer in general. I'm looking for something that she'll enjoy drinking as much as she enjoys making. I was thinking of a recipe somewhat floral/fruity/spicy. She really enjoys this beer we have in our area that is brewed with hibiscus flowers...I've also been considering a very light honey beer (not mead) or using a mixture of light spices...

anyways, any good recipes out there? ideas? suggestions?

Thanks!

As has been suggested many times here........visit some craft breweries and find something she likes than attempt to clone it.

What's the local, legendary hibiscus beer's name? I bet someone here has a clone. He may have to check a small part of his manhood at the door for developing it though (JK) :drunk:

As has been suggested many times here........visit some craft breweries and find something she likes than attempt to clone it.

Yeah, like i've mentioned she really digs this hibiscus beer, I might just try and brew something similar.

thanks

Have her try a Stout. Serious..... Chocolate, Coffee,

That was one of my first beers...at oatmeal stout with strong chocolate flavours. She really like it but not in 'large' quantities for the summer.

Yet another opinion....

How about a Saison Dupont or something along those lines?

hmmm, that could be very interesting. perhaps not the beer with greatest 'drinkability' for hot summer day, but a great idea none the less. thanks!

What's the local, legendary hibiscus beer's name? I bet someone here has a clone. He may have to check a small part of his manhood at the door for developing it though (JK) :drunk:

Its from Dieux du Ciel. They are getting quite popular in Canada and some states...I,ve just read of this Honey hibiscus wit recipe which might be a great start!

If she doesn't like beer, why not make an Island Mist wine kit (like a wine cooler) or a hard lemonade, or something she DOES like?

that'll be project 2. really looking towards making a beer that all non-beer-loving ladies will enjoy at the beach this summer.

also very interesting...any ideas? strawberries in secondary? ideas on yeast? Thanks

Strawberries in secondary for sure. Dont use that extract crap it tastes like cough syrup. A clean fermenting yeast like S05 or Notty would be great. Search for Biermunchers Centennial Blonde, its a great recipe that the ladies seem to love.

You really can't go wrong with the aforementioned blonde. To add a little kitsch you could toss a pound of red rice into the mash, it'll turn bright pink!

Is this it?

Rosée d'hibiscus (Pinkish Hibiscus)
Hibiscus flower Wit "Bottle conditioned" - 5% alc./vol.
341 ml (11.5 fl.oz.)

Rosée d’Hibiscus is a soft spoken wheat beer. The rose colour comes from the hibiscus flowers added during the brewing process. The aromas and flavour of this tropical flower are very prominent in the beer, giving it a slight acidity and a very agreeable fragrance. It is the perfect thirst quencher on a hot summer day.

This beer won a gold medal (fifth place amongst 10 gold medal winners) at the adjudicated "MBeer" contest during the Mondial de la Bière in Montréal in 2007, and a silver medal in the 2008 Popular Beer Contest during the Mondial de la Bière in Montréal.

The Rosée d'hibiscus was born in our Montreal brewpub

KPR: sounds great!

Beerlogic: any references to such a recipe?

Zider: what region are you from?

Thanks!

Is this it?

Rosée d'hibiscus (Pinkish Hibiscus)
Hibiscus flower Wit "Bottle conditioned" - 5% alc./vol.
341 ml (11.5 fl.oz.)

Rosée d’Hibiscus is a soft spoken wheat beer. The rose colour comes from the hibiscus flowers added during the brewing process. The aromas and flavour of this tropical flower are very prominent in the beer, giving it a slight acidity and a very agreeable fragrance. It is the perfect thirst quencher on a hot summer day.

This beer won a gold medal (fifth place amongst 10 gold medal winners) at the adjudicated "MBeer" contest during the Mondial de la Bière in Montréal in 2007, and a silver medal in the 2008 Popular Beer Contest during the Mondial de la Bière in Montréal.

The Rosée d'hibiscus was born in our Montreal brewpub

spot on

that'll be project 2. really looking towards making a beer that all non-beer-loving ladies will enjoy at the beach this summer.

I understand wanting to make something they'd all love! But I've found that it's pretty futile. If people don't like beer, it's not easy to make something they will really like.

I gave up even trying, except I make a cream ale for my dad (he claims it's "almost as good as MGD"), a hard lemonade for my daughter, and a watermelon wheat for my best friend. Otherwise, they all love those Island Mist wine kits.

For people who don't really like beer, it's disappointing to make one for them because they won't really like it, "Girly beer" or not.

I forgot to mention earlier that I've had success along this line with my gf, who is also not much of a beer drinker. I wasn't trying to make it especially for her, but she loves the oatmeal brown ale I've got on tap right now.

It's 65% UK two-row, 15% brown malt, and 10% each of medium crystal and flaked oats, mashed hot and short, and hopped to about 25 IBUs with EKGs. It's got all the toasty, chocolate and sweet notes of an oatmeal stout, with some marmalade from the hops, but without the bitterness and roasty edge. (It even foams down!) She says it tastes like liquid brown sugar oatmeal.

As Yooper suggested, make her something she DOES like, so she can make you beer that YOU like. (When you make her hard lemonade/apfelwein/whatever, just pretend it takes 5 hours and a lot clean-up, so its a fair trade)

I understand wanting to make something they'd all love! But I've found that it's pretty futile. If people don't like beer, it's not easy to make something they will really like.

I gave up even trying, except I make a cream ale for my dad (he claims it's "almost as good as MGD"), a hard lemonade for my daughter, and a watermelon wheat for my best friend. Otherwise, they all love those Island Mist wine kits.

For people who don't really like beer, it's disappointing to make one for them because they won't really like it, "Girly beer" or not.

Probably the best answer.... but before you give up... try going outside the "girly beer" box.

I actually brewed something I called a "little girly beer" :) My non-hop loving friends loved it!

It was more or less a Belgian blond brewed with a bit of honey malt, a lb. of honey (vs. candi sugar), sweet orange peel, noble hops, and chamomile.

Hibiscus would work in that as well. Very light, a tad sweet, fruity, low hop profile, very easy on the nose.

Oh yeah.. have her try an Ephemere from Unibroue - that often wins over beer phobic friends as well....

Thanks Right I know it. Excellent beer from there but pub is too crowded. (Tiny and popular). I'll have to force myself....

Btw The best Quebec beer I found recently was a maibock from 3 musketeers. Check out this company if you see it for sale.

Back