Looking for a fullbodied, bitter, flavorful IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urg8rb8

Reaction score
Anyone have a recipe for a proven full-bodied, citrusy, sweet, bitter IPA? Did I just describe a West Coast style IPA? Anyone have a proven recipe for Space Dust?

i recently made a amber rye ipa that turned out really good . i used maris otter with with 13% rye 10% munich 4% each of caramel carapils and aromatic to hit 1.073 at 14L with 87ibu. With this beer i used only bitter hops to reach 87 ibus and no other boil additions . then i dry hopped for 7 days with 2 oz each of amarillo leaf / chinook leaf / centennial pellets for a total of 6oz. i used the same combination of hops for the 60 minute boil addition.

this has great malt flavor with a good balance of bitterness and hop flavor. it is a big bold one . i am going to brew it again on my next batch since i like it so much.

Last edited:
5 gallons

2 Row
1lb Carapils
1lb C10 or C15 or C20

Mash 154

1.066-1.070

1056 ferment at 68-70

2oz your favorite bittering hop @ 60
1.5-2oz Simcoe/Amarillo/Cent @ 15
2-3oz Amarillo, Centennial, Citra @ FO

4-8oz Dry Hop depending on how aromatic you want. Always after fermentation is done. Highest percentage of the hop you have that smells the best. Say 60% Citra, 20% Simcoe, 20% Amarillo

Mashing that high with that OG and not adding sugar will give you a bit more body. IBUs should be high enough for it to be bitter even with that high a FG.

Water should be at least 100ppm Ca with mostly gypsum. Adding some NaCl might boost the sweetness a touch too.

What do you think about this recipe? I found this online somewhere and it is supposed to be a Space Dust clone:

14.4 lb 2-Row
.5 lb C15
.25 lb Carapils

1 oz Chinook @ 60
1 oz Amarillo @ 10
.5 oz Citra @ 10
1 oz Amarillo @ 5
.75 oz Citra @ 5
2 oz Amarillo @ FO
1.25 oz Citra @ FO

Dryhop 1 oz Amarillo 7 days
Dryhop 2 oz Citra 7 Days