Long time lurker. Help needed!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crymbrew

Reaction score
First of thanks to all of you guys for helping me out with my home-brews. I've been lurking this site for a while taking on board the valuable advice you've shared with others and it has helped me no end!

PICS: http://imgur.com/a/j5SQJ#0

My main questions(s) concern my recent employment as an assistant brewer at a local microbrewery (hooray for me!). The head brewer has been there for 15 years, is self taught and a bit set in his ways. Recently; however, a considerable amount of their product has been returned - the main reason being undesirable fermentation during cask conditioning, effectively "rotting" the beer as one customer put it. After my first shift there I had a sit down to think what the problems may be...

I recently graduated uni with a BSC hons in microbiology so understand a lot of the more technical science behind brewing and the conclusion I came to was that the dead yeast was not being skimmed off during fermentation, becoming infected, depleted yeast = less CO2, infected yeast sinks back into brew, sediments at bottom of FV and is drawn off into the conditioning tanks and eventually kegs creating the problem the head brewer faces now.

The brewery itself is dirty. I can appreciate that the head brewer set it all up himself and all and all the equipment and vessels are cleaned thoroughly (I think) with detergent and paracetic acid (at different stages). The walls of the brewery are covered in mildew, there is mildew on every window, around the sink, around the fridge, the yeast incubator has seen better days, packaged malt is stored right against the mildew coated walls. Basically if this were my brewery I would shut it down, clean, re-paint, replace equipment etc.

Would it be appropriate for me to mention to the head brewer and/or the establishment manager the problems I think exist so soon into my employment. Oh and if anyone has a different hypothesis concerning the spoiled brews that would be greatly appreciated!!

So sorry about the wall of text!
PICS BELOW
http://imgur.com/a/j5SQJ#0

I would think, in any profession, taking initiative to provide a better 'value', suggesting ways to improve a product or service, or anything otherwise positive would not go unheeded in a professional environment. That being said, if you were to be able to focus on the state of cleanliness and are able to leave out unnecessary talking points (personal opinions) and strictly focus on the brewery bettering itself as a whole, hell I would be all in for that constructive criticism.

Seems to me you really only have two choices:

1) Not say anything, do the best you can to improve the situation through hard labor and risk losing the job because word gets out that your beer sux.... or

2) Mention the issues you described and risk pissing off the head brewer. As I understand it these guys can be a little cantankerous!

With that said though.... If I were a commercial brewer I would appreciate someone who was willing to work hard and help me improve my Beer and my reputation..... especially if my job was becoming at risk, which it sounds like his might be!

I agree. Find a tactful way of relating to him what the problem is...cleanliness.
All that wildew has to be getting into the beer somehow. Especially through the grains I'd think. Laying those sacks against a wildewed wall can't be good.
Maybe tell him you'll help clean it up?

Could you just do a little extra work and clean it up on your own?

You'd be helping the possible issue without being confrontational.

Cyclman said:
Could you just do a little extra work and clean it up on your own? You'd be helping the possible issue without being confrontational.

Yeah, maybe it's a test.
Mention that as assistant, you feel it's important to make it clean.
Is a worth it to pay a little overtime for the cleanliness?

Agreed with others that if you can find a short and simple solution to improving the entire brewing process you should look to that.

To me, if this guy is brewing in less than ideal conditions with knowledge that is lacking your knowledge on the subject, you should bring the issues at hand up to him. If he fires you, then you did not want to be a part of this brewing process.

You have to take a "beer ethical" stand here. Your suggestions will improve the product quality and if they get upset with you for advising them on a better way of doing things then so be it.

I once had a job in a scruffy untidy poorly disciplined little company that was you guessed it having problems. I thought carefully about all the problems as I saw them. I documented the problems, and documented viable solutions. At the end of my six months probationary period to the day , have you guessed it? I was let go. The management were too weak to see there problems and too weak to act on proposed solutions. They are still a scruffy untidy horrible little lot, that's the way they like it.

Looks like they can't see the obvious. You could start just by cleaning up a bit here and there on your own incentive. If they catch on then great, if not then you really don't need to be associated with them. Always do the best you can.

I vote for cleaning it up for sure.

+1
If you think you can still learn form him and grow in the profession then you will need to suck it up a bit. It is going to take a little humility and a little "wax on , wax off"

Ask "do you mind if I spend some extra time cleaning up around the place?" then do it, knowing you might not get any credit. But the place will be clean, he won't feel offended, you'll learn his skills, make better beer and it will help you in the long run. Building a name for yourself takes time. It doesn't work like they show you on TV where 20 something year olds leave school and go to the top of their profession the next day.

The head brewer probably doesn't have a degree in Microbiology. He must be aware of the returns and has been unable or unwilling to address the problem. Tactfully suggest the mildew might be the source of the problem and offer to help power-wash it with an appropriate disinfectant. The worst-case scenario of cleaning it up is you all have a healthier workplace and can eliminate that as the source of the problem. I can't imagine the health inspector would like pass that place if he showed up.

how is the ventilation system?
if moist air isnt going out then the mold will grow.
just my first thought. I am not a pro brewer by any stretch

Hi guys,
I think I'll mention that I'm more than happy enough to help out with cleaning. What do I have to lose? I definitely can't get fired for showing enthusiasm, I suppose the challenge is to find a tactful way of putting it. I'll talk to the manager of the place too, see if he can set some funds aside to help reinvigorate the place. It has won awards in the past and I'd love to help it get to that level again. Thanks for your input, hopefully will have some progress pics in a few weeks time!!

Back