Long Pumpkin Ale Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgenius

Reaction score
So I brewed a pumpkin ale back on September 8th (now 17 days ago). I put the pumpkin in for all 60 minutes of the boil, in a fine mesh nylon bag. I used the canned stuff too (Libby's 100% pumpkin puree). Anyway, by the time I had pitched my yeast starter, my wort was perfectly clear. I had whirlpooled and left all the cold-break and trub behind.

Primary fermentation went nicely, so I racked it on September 15th (now 10 days ago). However, since I racked it into secondary, there has been a small, bubbly krausen up in the neck of the carboy, with small bubbles rising from the bottom of the fermenter. I just figured that fermentation was winding-down and to let it sit a day or two (which I've done many times in th past). The krausen maintained for several more days, so I hit it with some yeast energizer. It doesn't look like that did a whole lot. I still have this small, bubbly krausen, and since it looks the same as the day after I racked it, I think it will keep going. My reasoning behind that is that this particular problem happened to another batch of a different style before.

My main question is: since I boiled the pumpkin, I might have a starchy wort, and could this be what is being slowly digested by the yeast and causing this krausen in secondary?

Anyone with experience here? Any thoughts and/or solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Prost! :mug:

Back