Long Island water quality-off flavors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

excaptn

Reaction score
I have been brewing for 2 years now and just brewed my third batch of all grain. I keep getting a harsh tasting flavor that is hard to describe during the finish. Could this be caused by the chemicals that are added to the water on Long Island? I am constantly learning and improving my process but this off flavor seems to be a constant regardless of the changes or mistakes I make during each session. I am going to build a filter and see if that helps, but was hoping that someone else on the Island was having this issue and a solution.

Can you describe the harsh flavor? It's hard to say otherwise. The first things that pop into my head are high mineral content in the water or tannin extraction possibly from over sparging or improper mash pH.

I'm on Long Island as well but I don't seem to experience this. I think my pumpkin ale had a bit of that but just needed additional conditioning time. A porter and oatmeal stout I made turned out just fine. Have a couple more brews coming down the pipeline so I will keep this in mind.

Best way to try and rule out the water in your situation would be to buy 6 gallons of spring water at Target. I think it's like only .89 per gallon. Cheaper than buying a filtration system you may not even need.

I have been brewing for 2 years now and just brewed my third batch of all grain. I keep getting a harsh tasting flavor that is hard to describe during the finish. Could this be caused by the chemicals that are added to the water on Long Island? I am constantly learning and improving my process but this off flavor seems to be a constant regardless of the changes or mistakes I make during each session. I am going to build a filter and see if that helps, but was hoping that someone else on the Island was having this issue and a solution.

I'm on Long Island and haven't noticed anything...I'm not in Westbury, though. Have you checked your water company's analysis? You can probably find it online. Maybe something specific is elevated that you may need to counter.

I am glad to hear that it seems to be an issue created be me, not my environment. At least I can try to fix it. I can't put a finger on what the taste is, almost like an over spiced winter beer. I know I have a feeling it had to do with oxygenating the beer when I transferred from the ferm. to the keg. I had an air bubble in the tube that I didn't notice until to late. I also had a stuck fermentation because my basement got too cold and had to bring the temp back up to about 68 and pitch some extra yeast.

Thanks for the help!

Im new to this water chemistry thing but I think from at least where im at, we have very soft water. I am starting to adjust my brewing water by adding minerals such as gypsum or just using burton water salts. I feel like all my ipa's and pa's dont come out bitter enough.

I am going to try and change out my fermentation bucket. Maybe there is something stuck in the plastic causing the off flavor. I clean it really well, and sanitize it, but who know. It has had a good 2-3 year run and could be the issue ‘cause I have had a few really bad beers come from there…I guess I am really just pulling at staws here.

But now that I got some L.I. brewers, where are you getting your supplies? I have been out eat a few times to Karps, and more recently to Brew Brothers because they are close. Any opinion on either? Should I start driving into queens?

I like Karps for grains because they sell what I use, and are cheaper (I buy grains in bulk).
I like Arbor (in Islip) for yeast. They are expensive, but at least you can get fresh (white labs) yeast
I try to stay away from Brew Bros because they are more expensive than Karps, and further to travel.

-a.

I bought my started set up at Karp's and later realized I could have done much better at Arbor. Arbor seems to have a better selection of equipment and gadgets. Karps and Brew Brothers seems to carry the basics (equipment) for reasonable prices. I'm not all grain yet, and I have been buying mostly kits on line. Brew bros kits always seem to me like they've been sitting there awhile (but they may not have been). Arbor carries brewers best and those are dated. One thing that bothers me about arbor is that they don't carry wyeast. Brew bros does, but just a basic selection. That may be normal for local stores. For me, brew bros are 5 minuntes from the house and arbor is 5 minutes from work, so I'm very lucky. For basics I'll go to whichever I happen to be near when I have a few minutes. I don't think I'll be going to Karp's much anymore, but they may change when I switch to all grain.

One last comment: I find that talking to the brew bros guys is most helpful. Arbor people are helpful too, but the methods that they advise I think are a little more behind the times (think Charles's book, not John's). Karp's dude is good to talk to, but so often he's busy on the floor, and maybe a little too non-specific for beginners. He helped but didn't, when I was getting started, if that makes sense.

I've made about 80 gallons since June. I've had no issues due to water quality (that I know of). I live in Miller Place.
I bought a can of John Bull at KEDCO. I found out later that they've been out of business for a couple of years. The kit boxes and cans seem a little old. Hardware, I'll buy local.

i've been using purified water since i started brewing 2 years ago. i live in lindenhurst, and you can smell the chlorine coming from the water. when i did extract i used the water coming from the Pur filter. now that i'm doing all grain i do it in my garage, and picked up a filter from home depot and put together a hose attachment for it.

I live in Farmingville (Suffolk). I just did my first all grain so I won't know how it turned out for a while but I did test my mash Ph and it was right where it should be - around 5.4

I did add Burton Water Salts after viewing the local water profile (Selden) it seemed to be low in a few areas that may benefit from the salts. I was making a Black IPA so I felt like the salts could only help that style.

As for brew supplies. I like Dave at Brew Brothers for my grains (Arbor does not crush grains and I have not yet bought a mill). I do BIAB and Dave even double crushes the grains for me. Brew Brothers seems to only carry dry yeast. Arbor sells dry and White Labs. Hoptron Botique has some Wyeast available. They both had a descent selection of Hops but Arbor seems to care a larger selection of leaf hops.

Overall I think Arbor has better selection and maybe nicer store front, but when I couldn't find a specialty grain in my recipe Dave from Brew Brothers was very helpful in finding a replacement grain that worked just as well. I haven't been to the store in Northport - it's just too out of the way for me. But I can't say I favor the other two over each other as I prefer each of them for different things.

Staff at both locations are extremely helpful.

Latest posts

Back