Long fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zackcavalier

Reaction score
I am brewing an iipa that had a starting gravity of 1.073. I am supposed to dry hop at day 14...but it is still bubbling away. I am gonna check the gravity today, but before I do that, I am curious if waiting for the bubbling to quit prior to my hop addition will cause any ill effect. I mean, no sense dry hopping and blowing all the volatiles out through the airlock...right?

The airlock is NOT a sign of fermentation (where has revvy been!?)

Check gravity over 3 days to make sure its stable.
Temperture and movement variences will shift co2 out of suspension after fermentation is finished.

If it is still bubbling away then do not open it . Leave it in several weeks so you know it is done then dry hop it .
Edit : of course check FG before dry hopping

I have a Russian Imperial Stout in these secondary for 1 week after fermenting for 2 weeks. I have no activity in my airlock and my FG is at 1.025. The OG was a bit high between 1.01 and 1.015.

Should I re-pitch or give it time?

By my calc my abv sit a out 3% less than half what it should be.

I do realize that the airlock is, by no means, a quantitative measure, but in an otherwise airtight system, should be a fairly reliable qualitative measure. The fermentation took off with 2 hrs of yeast pitch, and has steadily proceeded for the last 14 days. Airlock has slowed from 3 sec/bubble to now about 27sec/bubble. I am getting my stuff to take a grav reading now.

Ok. I am 1.022. Right where I thought it would be after 1 week. I am an idiot...because it has only been 1 week and not two. I guess that is what having a baby 5 days after brew day will do...scramble your brain. The sample I took tasted wonderful...Maybe beyond wonderful. I am going to call this brew "birthday boy" because I had a son whilst it was working.

I have a had several take 2 1/2 weeks to stop completely bubbling .

Now JJMeyers ; was your OG a typo 1.015 ?

MarcusKillion said:
I have a had several take 2 1/2 weeks to stop completely bubbling . Now JJMeyers ; was your OG a typo 1.015 ?
. No, it was between 1.01 and 1.015. I don't know if my measurement was very good but it was close to what the recipe calls for. It was pretty much done bubbling.

I have a Russian Imperial Stout in these secondary for 1 week after fermenting for 2 weeks. I have no activity in my airlock and my FG is at 1.025. The OG was a bit high between 1.01 and 1.015.

Should I re-pitch or give it time?

By my calc my abv sit a out 3% less than half what it should be.

You had to mean 1.105, right? That is high but maybe not insane for a imperial stout.

No the 1.010 to 1.015 was about were it was. My measuring ability may not be that great. I just took a gravity and I got 1.025 at 64 degrees. Do I need to pitch it again or just wait.

. No, it was between 1.01 and 1.015. I don't know if my measurement was very good but it was close to what the recipe calls for. It was pretty much done bubbling.

you are thinking wrong I think . 1.010 is a final gravity and is lower than the 1.025 you have for FG .
1.110 to 1.115 is probably it . In which case 1.025 is good I think

Back