Locust Bean Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryRay

Reaction score
Hi everybody!

I don't know very much about brewing beer outside of helping a friend in Hopkinsville, KY do some bottling.

My brother mentioned how beer was made in the 1700's with that sweet, sticky substance found in locust beans. This pod is much flatter than the mesquite pods but it's my understanding that both are used in brewing beer.

Does anybody know where I can find a recipe for locust bean beer?

Larry

As I understand it the pods are processed for cattle feed and the leftovers are used to make carob. I know carob has been used to brew some beers but I have never heard of using the whole fruit and I'm afraid I don't know anything about its fermentability or character. That said, processed carob does have plenty of sugar in it and has a similar flavor to dark chocolate.

Thanks for your prompt reply. I'm wondering how to do a Google search for locust bean beer. I might have more luck using 'carob' or 'locust bean GUM' !?!?
Some brands of ice cream use locust bean gum but I wouldn't know how to incorporate it into a beer recipe...:confused:

Larry

You might want to consider learning to brew beer with traditional beer ingredients (extract, grains, hops, water, yeast) before you try to tackle more complex and lesser know ingredients, since all you've done so far is helped to bottle.

Start by reading the online version of the book How to Brew so you can understand the process, and what all the info you'll come upon as you research this, means.

Old thread, but I got this brewing. It takes way more work than brewing beer for (likely) worse results, so I am just doing it for vanity. Unless you can get a syrup or wort from a friend don't bother. I can see it working as an ingredient similar to molasses though.

Carobs are actually somewhat common in some rural areas. I never saw it used for brewing, but they do make syrup out of it. There are different processes. I am documenting how some people do it. They aren't scientists so it is far from perfect.

The method to extract sugar:
Break carobs by hand and/or hammers. Pods, skin, everything goes into a barrel.
Soak them up in room temperature water. Just enough water to get all of it completely wet. I suspect mashing with warm water would work better, but this is how they do it. I am just documenting the process unchanged.
Soak them for 12 hours.
Filter the remaining liquid so you end up with a clear liquid. Throw away the pods.
Boil this liquid until you get the consistency you need. They boil it with wood for half a day in huge pots to get less than 10 lbs of very thick syrup per barrel of unfiltered water-carob mix. It looks almost same as light malt extract.
They don't add anything else to it. This is all. No added sugars, no sulphur.

I made a 15°P solution and pitched a 12oz bottle of yeast (Whitbread, S-04). It looks same as a porter stout, black.

The fermentation had no issues at all. It worked the same way it would work with wort. Same high krausen, same lag time. In hindsight I didn't need this much yeast, I just didn't think it would work as well as wort would. I half-expected the yeast to take a long time and act similar to making cider.

Took 4 days to ferment most of it at 70F. I will cold crash and let it settle a bit before I bottle.

Last edited:
Old thread, but I got this brewing. It takes way more work than brewing beer for (likely) worse results, so I am just doing it for vanity. Unless you can get a syrup or wort from a friend don't bother. I can see it working as an ingredient similar to molasses though.

Carobs are actually somewhat common in some rural areas. I never saw it used for brewing, but they do make syrup out of it. There are different processes. I am documenting how some people do it. They aren't scientists so it is far from perfect.

The method to extract sugar:
Break carobs by hand and/or hammers. Pods, skin, everything goes into a barrel.
Soak them up in room temperature water. Just enough water to get all of it completely wet. I suspect mashing with warm water would work better, but this is how they do it. I am just documenting the process unchanged.
Soak them for 12 hours.
Filter the remaining liquid so you end up with a clear liquid. Throw away the pods.
Boil this liquid until you get the consistency you need. They boil it with wood for half a day in huge pots to get less than 10 lbs of very thick syrup per barrel of unfiltered water-carob mix. It looks almost same as light malt extract.
They don't add anything else to it. This is all. No added sugars, no sulphur.

I made a 15°P solution and pitched a 12oz bottle of yeast (Whitbread, S-04). It looks same as a porter stout, black.

The fermentation had no issues at all. It worked the same way it would work with wort. Same high krausen, same lag time. In hindsight I didn't need this much yeast, I just didn't think it would work as well as wort would. I half-expected the yeast to take a long time and act similar to making cider.

Took 4 days to ferment most of it at 70F. I will cold crash and let it settle a bit before I bottle.
No hops?

Latest posts

Back