Local HBS Sending me a Yeast Starter to Cure Stuck Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daytonlawvol

Reaction score
Well, the dreaded curse of 1.030 has hit my Brewers Best Oatmeal Stout. Temperature had fallen down to 62 degrees and fermentation was stuck for 4 days. I moved it to a room and ive gotten the temperature up to 70 now and swished it around a bit, nothing happening though.

So I called by HBS, told them the deal and they said that a yeast starter is exactly what I need to do right now. They are sending me a half-gallon jug, a liquid yeast that they havent completely decided on yet, but will get one that is appropriate for my oatmeal stout and a pound of DME plus some instructions. The guy said to let the starter sit for about 72 hours, then pour it in my Oatmeal Stout.

Two Questions:

1) Anybody have more stuck fermentation when you have your carboy as primary fermenter, due to lack of aeration...since its much harder to do so in a carboy?

2) Would pouring my stuck wort from the carboy to the plastic bucket and letting it pick up in there be a possible resolution instead of making a starter?

Well, the dreaded curse of 1.030 has hit my Brewers Best Oatmeal Stout. Temperature had fallen down to 62 degrees and fermentation was stuck for 4 days. I moved it to a room and ive gotten the temperature up to 70 now and swished it around a bit, nothing happening though.

So I called by HBS, told them the deal and they said that a yeast starter is exactly what I need to do right now. They are sending me a half-gallon jug, a liquid yeast that they havent completely decided on yet, but will get one that is appropriate for my oatmeal stout and a pound of DME plus some instructions. The guy said to let the starter sit for about 72 hours, then pour it in my Oatmeal Stout.

Two Questions:

1) Anybody have more stuck fermentation when you have your carboy as primary fermenter, due to lack of aeration...since its much harder to do so in a carboy?

2) Would pouring my stuck wort from the carboy to the plastic bucket and letting it pick up in there be a possible resolution instead of making a starter?

I would NOT pour a beer that has already started ferment. BAD.
What was the original gravity? 62 degrees is not that cold really.

I have never had a problem with carboys. I do not aerate as a rule. At most with this, I would sanitize a racking cane and use it to gently rouse the yeast pack into suspension.
When you say it is at 70 and nothing has happened... how long has it been back there? It will not kick in as vigorously as the initial ferment. It will be slow over a few days.

I bet it kicks back in before the starter is done. Thats the way it usually goes!

Ive had it at 70 degrees now for only about one day. When I move the carboy around to hopefully get the yeast back to work, I cant really get the bottom of the carboy moving, would it hurt anything to get something sanitary to actually STIR the bottom of the carboy where all the gunk and yeast is?

Ive had it at 70 degrees now for only about one day. When I move the carboy around to hopefully get the yeast back to work, I cant really get the bottom of the carboy moving, would it hurt anything to get something sanitary to actually STIR the bottom of the carboy where all the gunk and yeast is?

As stated above, I would get a racking cane, sanitize it, and use it to GENTLY rouse the yeast back into suspension. Do not over stir, for this might oxidize your beer. :mug:

As stated above, I would get a racking cane, sanitize it, and use it to GENTLY rouse the yeast back into suspension. Do not over stir, for this might oxidize your beer. :mug:

Will do, I'll let ya know how it goes.

Thanks!

I have done two of these kits. Both did the exact same thing. I think its due to the maltodextrin and unfermentables. I tried all sorts of things to get it going again Inc yeast energizer, stirring, warming and repitching. On one I tried ec 1118 the other just standard muntons ale yeast.

I bottled one batch and the other I'm gunna let sit in the primary. The bottled stuff tastes real good but its a little sweet. And low abv

I made threads on here. Try to search and find it. Hope u have better luck than me. And please report back and update us on your success

Cheers

Back