Loc-Line Nozzles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanhope

Reaction score
Has anyone tried using any of the following Loc-Line nozzles show below at the end of the Loc-Line sparge arms?

media.nl
media.nl

All a nozzle will do for you is to increase the velocity of the flow. Seems to me that it's counter productive as I try for a gentle flow on top of the grain bed.

I use loc line on all my fish tanks and have used the fittings you pictured. They would clog with bits of grain and be more of a pain than anything. The best setup i have made is to take 3/4" loc line and make a full circle using a 3way adapter. Then drill small holes in each segment of loc line. This will give you a shower head effect and can be disassembaled easy for cleaning.

All a nozzle will do for you is to increase the velocity of the flow. Seems to me that it's counter productive as I try for a gentle flow on top of the grain bed.

It would only increase the velocity if it restricts flow but with multiple holes it might not increase the velocity. It might even decrease it. At the very least it is distributing the force around.

My suggestion would be to try the open end of the locline as positioned horizontally right above the grainbed so that the gentle outflow will whirlpool the surface liquid. I fully understand why we have such a strong urge to create trickles, sprays, etc based on long standing products like phil's sparge arm and other spinning gadgets but simple is good. I plan to offer an extension kit that basically puts a ring over the grainbed with small outflow ports around the circumference, but it will also have a large port at the end just in case the ports clog. While I don't think it's necessary, it satisfies the distributed outflow instinct.

I plan to offer an extension kit that basically puts a ring over the grainbed with small outflow ports around the circumference, but it will also have a large port at the end just in case the ports clog. While I don't think it's necessary, it satisfies the distributed outflow instinct.

That's good business right there. Give em what they want, not necessarily what they need! :rockin:

For a sparge arm that gives a shower effect, this seems ready made for that purpose. For recirculation of wort, however, I would just run a separate section of open ended loc-line and switch them out as needed. They pop off the pipe threaded piece really easily.

51837_large.png

Those side nozzle units are pretty darn expensive. The ring I'm planning to offer is one of those followed by two links, etc... There's no reason for that many nozzles, especially if you want about a 12" diameter.

Those side nozzle units are pretty darn expensive. The ring I'm planning to offer is one of those followed by two links, etc... There's no reason for that many nozzles, especially if you want about a 12" diameter.

I think they're about $23 if I recall correctly. I batch sparge. So I don't need the sprayers. I have been using the regular loc-line I bought from you some time ago, and it works well. But if I were to do the sprayer, your method makes sense. Just break down the regular lock line and alternate every section or two with a spray section to get more diameter.

Interested to see what you put out there, even if it doesn't really fit with my needs.

This is quickly getting off topic

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

Back