'Lo all!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheChemist

Reaction score
Hey!

This is just a quick intro so that people aren't wondering who the hell I am when I start posting random stuff.

I got into home brewing just over a year ago, when a friend introduced me to this bizarre combination of science and art. I was in my first year of university, and managed to finagle my way into auditing a course on the history of brewing science - very cool stuff. As a consequence, when I went home for the summer, my brother and I started home brewing ourselves right away. I don't drink much myself, but I absolutely love the whole process and history of brewing - I think it's very neat. So, when I decided that I didn't want to go straight back to university this year, I eventually came to the conclusion that I wouldn't mind working in the brewing industry, and decided to get some schooling before I jumped into the deep end.

Long story short, I am in England (I am Canadian) taking a 10 week diploma course on brewing technology. :cool: Now, there is alot of science and business stuff in this course, in addition to the practical side of things. I am planning on posting on the applicable science that I learn (the biochem is fantastically interesting, but I don't know if I have the patience or know-how to explain it all properly) that pertains to home brewing. This is for two reasons; firstly because I think that home brewers would benefit from this kind of information, and secondly because it helps me cement the basics before I go on into the more complicated stuff. I have a blog (though it's not been updated recently ;) ) at yeastofallevils.tumblr.com where I'm posting the slightly less brew-related stuff about this course as well.

I hope that I can get feedback from the brewers here on how these techniques and theories are reflected in the every day home brew, and I might be able to help simplify the science side of brewing for those who (like me!) don't know anything beyond the absolute basics of the brewing process. Looking forward to the dialogue!

Cheers, :mug:
TheChemist

Welcome to the forum, Chemist! Plenty of Canadians on here and some Brits too. Check out the new Brew Science forum. It would be interesting to get a British brewing school perspective on things there.

I'm sitting in Cowtown tonight also (here on business). Had dinner at Brewsters (1 seasonal Bitter, 1 Hefiweisen, 1 Rig Pig IPA). Bought a few exotics at Willow Park liquor store.
Would love to hear what you learned in jolly old England.
Will probably pick up some supplies from the Vineyard before I head home to the Okanagan.

Back