LME addition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlampen45

Reaction score
Hi everyone! New to the site but have been stalking for quite a while.
I'm about to tackle the heavenly scourge iipa recipe and bumped the 2 row to 17 from the original 15.5 to make up for my efficiency.
I'm also shooting to pull a second running session black ipa off the same grains and am worried about when/if i should add lme. I've read everything from 60 min hop addition to tossing it in at the last 10 but they all seem to be concerned about srm more than actual fermentables. I'm just going for something for my yeast to eat so i don't have a 1.009 og second runnings that turns into a waste of time and carboy space.

I should add that im tossing a belgian yeast at the second running wort and am planning to add 1lbs of candi sugar 15 min left of the boil (45 min)

It's going into a black IPA so the color change that might occur doesn't matter. Since all you are doing is adding a fermentable, it also doesn't matter. Any time from before the boil starts until flameout will be fine as long as you get it mixed well when adding so it doesn't drop to the bottom and scorch. Your purpose in adding it hot is to pasteurize it and the wort will be hot enough for that for some time after flameout unless you immediately chill. I'd be adding it at flameout since there is no chance of scorching then. Stir it in well, give it 5 minutes to pasteurize, then chill.

Latest posts

Back