"living the dream.."

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoalCracker

Reaction score
What does that mean. I hate when I ask how some one is doing and they say "ah man, just living the dream!" What the hell is "the dream" and how can I obtain this dream? My dream is to have a few million in the bank earning crazy interest that I would live off of while working minimum wage with no stress in a bew pub of some sort or working in a production facility doing odd jobs just to stay busy. Own a beach house on some warm beach in Key West and spend my summers there with family. I know not everyone has the same dream but what is the typical "dream" I just don't get it.. So brewing friends of mine. Feel free to enlighten me.

As in life is good, I can not complain. I believe it essentially is saying that everything is going as desired. Whetever your dream life is you are living it. It also seems to be said sarcastically.

Essentially it is another way of people to say "I'm fine"

I am living the dream. I have a wonderful wife now and custody of my kid and pretty much do whatever I want.

I do not need much money nor a huge house to make me happy. Weird though early in my life I fought hard for those things and got them but had no time to enjoy them. Now I enjoy life but do not have the fancy home or cars. And you know I am much happier now

"Living the dream" to me means being blessed:

: of or enjoying happiness; specifically : enjoying the bliss of heaven —used as a title for a beatified person

: bringing pleasure, contentment, or good fortune

I feel like I'm "living the dream"! I don't have a ton of things, but I have everything I could possibly ever need and lots of things that I want. I don't need anything at all. My family is healthy, my marriage is great, and we want for nothing. Live is really good.

There are lots and lots of people with a great many possessions who are working to pay for those possessions and they aren't happy. I don't need a fancy house, or a new car, or new clothes, although I happen to have one or two of those items. :D It's just that I don't feel like I need anything.

I think it's about simply wanting what you have, and being satisfied with that.

One of my friends said it best, "Life is simple when you're shallow!". I'm shallow, and totally satisfied with my life.

'Living the dream' means having the life you imagined yourself having. You decide what the 'dream' is and what it would take for you to decide you have obtained it.

It's also used sarcastically as in "Oh yeah, I'm living the dream".

When people ask how I am personally, I say 'Living the dream' and mean it (I'm lucky in almost all things).

When people ask how work is/was, I'll often alternate between "Living the dream" and "Another day in paradise" - both meant to be sarcastic (though I have it pretty good at work too).

Ironically, the fact that any of us can spend time on this board reading about beer (instead of worrying about food) automatically means we're all 'Living the dream'.

So congrats - you've arrived. :)

I feel like I'm "living the dream"! I don't have a ton of things, but I have everything I could possibly ever need and lots of things that I want. I don't need anything at all. My family is healthy, my marriage is great, and we want for nothing. Live is really good.

There are lots and lots of people with a great many possessions who are working to pay for those possessions and they aren't happy. I don't need a fancy house, or a new car, or new clothes, although I happen to have one or two of those items. :D It's just that I don't feel like I need anything.

One of my friends said it best, "Life is simple when you're shallow!". I'm shallow, and totally satisfied with my life.

Brilliant - you've got it knocked. The key to life is to be happy with what you have, not obsessed with what you don't.

I'd be right there with you if only Northern Brewer, Williams and Morebeer would stop sending me catalogs...

This, although I would imagine in a number of cases it is easier said than done. My wife and I are healthy, had healthy boy-girl twins earlier this year, and couldn't ask for anything more. Talk about living the dream.

living the dream is facetious. when I say "ahh man, just living the dream" people know that i am meaning that its just another day in the jungle and we all have problems that we're dealing with. So instead of breaking down like a girl and whining about all the little things that aggravate me on a daily basis, I simply reply with "living the dream" and I can now carry-on with more meaningful conversation topics. Stuff that really matters like....football? haha.

Also, i would like to note that all the beaches in key west are imported. my brother has lived there for about 5 years and when i came to visit he told me how they have to ship in all the sand to make the beaches at the hotels there. i guess the locals usually get on a boat and cruise out to these small deserted islands that actually have natural beaches. ok, so when he says "living the dream" it may take on a whole different meaning than when i say it...a si es la vida

living the dream is facetious. when I say "ahh man, just living the dream" people know that i am meaning that its just another day in the jungle and we all have problems that we're dealing with.

That's been my experience....usually meant as sarcastic. I equate it with "Same Sh** Different Day"

However, I think that I am living the dream, and therefore I would never use that phrase. Didn't realize it until I lost my job. I now realize that a 70 hour work week and constant stress is no way to live. I have simple interests and don't need/care about flashy possessions (although a Blichmann pot would be nice)

"Living the dream'' refers to the "american dream". The ideal of Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.

In the Army we use it sarcastically. While I was deployed, if you asked anyone how they were doing they would say living the dream...however, we all knew it sucked a hard one over there.

What does that mean. I hate when I ask how some one is doing and they say "ah man, just living the dream!" What the hell is "the dream" and how can I obtain this dream? My dream is to have a few million in the bank earning crazy interest that I would live off of while working minimum wage with no stress in a bew pub of some sort or working in a production facility doing odd jobs just to stay busy. Own a beach house on some warm beach in Key West and spend my summers there with family. I know not everyone has the same dream but what is the typical "dream" I just don't get it.. So brewing friends of mine. Feel free to enlighten me.

I thought your dream was to build a 1 BBL brewery with tippy dump and electric controls? :D

I have always preferred the motto "Happiness is a short memory" to "living the dream" Though I must say I am content with my station in life. I have need for nothing, want may be another thing, but I keep my expectations realistic.

Sure I would love a nice brand new cruiser, have my house paid off in full, heated/cooled conicals and other shiny brewing equipment and the time to brew when I want to. But what the hey? I have sufficient if not more than I need. All I need is a roof over my head, a car that runs, a comfortable chair and a homebrew or two a night.

Heres to the rest of you HBTers being as content.

I'll be content after my wedding. Right now I feel so unsettled. I live in two houses, have a job I don't particularly enjoy, and generally feel behind.

Once I get married, I'll be moving to a different area, in one house, then I can start a family, and find a new job in a new area. Then, I'll be content and happy. Just so busy trying to keep both parts of my life together that I have no time for much else.

Granted I do have a new kickass brewery. It did take about 4 months of hard work to build and all that time of no brewing! I need some beer!

On a side note: I am so happy to hear that my fellow brewers are content / happy in life. That means so much these days.

'Living the dream' means having the life you imagined yourself having. ....

I agree, but to make that life happen requires deliberate action. Too many people just dream and don't act. If you don't define your own reality then it will get defined for you. You can't control all the variables of course, but you can control, or deal with, most of them.

I had a general idea/plan when I was in my 20's to realize my "dream" by the time I was 40. Worked my ass off for almost 20 years, fortunately at something I enjoyed, and did it. Now I live in the NW Caribbean, spend about half the year sailing and traveling, and the other half enjoy my little piece of paradise and brewing beer! Works for me, but my dream is certainly not everyone's dream.

As a "cruiser" (someone who travels long term aboard a sailboat), I hear many people refer to "cruising" as "living the dream", but it is not for everyone.

Regardless of what your "dream" may be, the important thing is to define your own "dream" and bring it into reality.

Oh, and I have a related saying for those days when the dream is not going so well...."Just another F*ing day in Paradise!", but most days the saying I use when asked "How's it going" is "LDS" ("Life Don't Suck")...and my goal now is to make sure it continues that way.

Rio Dulce Wing on Wing.JPG

As a "cruiser" (someone who travels long term aboard a sailboat), I hear many people refer to "cruising" as "living the dream", but it is not for everyone.

Regardless of what your "dream" may be, the important thing is to define your own "dream" and bring it into reality.

Oh, and I have a related saying for those days when the dream is not going so well...."Just another F*ing day in Paradise!", but most days the saying I use when asked "How's it going" is "LDS" ("Life Don't Suck")...and my goal now is to make sure it continues that way.

That is one DAMN fine looking Cat bro! Well done!

Cheers to your success!!

Jay

That is one DAMN fine looking Cat bro! Well done!

Cheers to your success!!

Jay

Thanks. We left the Cat in Panama at the end of last season and will be back aboard in about a month.

Working to fill up all my fermentors now so that we have interesting brew to drink when we return.

In the Army we use it sarcastically. While I was deployed, if you asked anyone how they were doing they would say living the dream...however, we all knew it sucked a hard one over there.

LMFAO! I love to hear phrases like that used sarcastically.

Another phrase I find hilarious is future ex wife.

I'll be living the dream soon. I'll be out of debt except for the house by the end of 2013! I have a 99 5 door K1500 suburban I love paid off and running and after I get out of debt I'll have more money and hopefully time to hunt and brew.

Latest posts

Back