Little to non existent krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaystrat

Reaction score
I brewed my first stout last weekend with some new equipment, that was a challenge, and fermentation started ok but krausen never grew past about 1/2” high in my fermentor. After 3 days krausen disappeared so I decided to pitch more dry yeast(did not hydrate). It created more activity but still have very little krausen. Infection is a concern but visually I can’t see any problems. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this and if my brew is gonna make it? Thanks.

What strain did you ferment with? Some yeast strains are less expressive than others, and it doesn't necessarily mean that they're not doing the job, especially if you did see some visual signs of fermentation. Take a gravity reading to make sure that fermentation is moving and if it is, just let it ride! Hope that helps, and keep us posted!

Agree with the above. I had a porter with zero krausen recently, turned out fine. Based on the description I wouldn't worry about it. The fact that your krausen cleared is convenient for siphoning later. I'd monitor gravity readings and proceed as usual.

I agree, krausen can be big or small. Some yeasts I've used for cider have almost none. When I was starting I went through the exact same issue, pitching more yeast bc I didn't see tons of activity. 95% of the time, yeast are happy to eat free sugar and party down.

Gravity reading is the only way to determine what's going on with certainty. Just rest assured that large, extended krausen is not always required for good fermentation. :)

Used fermentis Safale dry yeast. Did not re-hydrate. OG was 1.102 as recipe called for, reading yesterday was was 1.032. Recipe calls for 1.022. I have brewed mostly ipas and typically do a starter. This is first time I used dry yeast in 2 years, probably should have re-hydrated. Thanks for your input, feel better already. Cheers.

I am a bit concerned because Saturday I took a gravity reading that was at 1.032, trending good. I took one yesterday and it was 1.050. Either I was wrong with Saturday's reading or something is amiss? Not sure.

Take another reading if you can. That's quite odd. Make sure your hydrometer isnt touching the bottom of whatever vessel you are reading from (flask, tube, etc). If you have a second hydrometer, use that this time. You might also degas the sample by agitating or stirring out excess CO2. Somehow I think you flubbed a step-- better double check that.

US05 should be basically done at this point. (Two packs, in fact!). Maybe you were seeing 1.005? Idk...

I have 3 hydrometers and I really hated using them. I got surprising readings sometimes too. Now you can buy a 15-20 dollar refractometer (usually that price when shipped with no plastic storage case). Highly recommend if you are finding hydrometers to be a pain. I told myself I already own a hydro, so I don't need a fancy tool. But I am glad I caved. :)

Also go ahead and drink the sample you took. Does it taste sweet or more like finished beer? Just another thought as you double check things.

I have a hydrometer and a refractometer. I typically don't use the refractometer once I ferment as I thought the refractometer did not give accurate readings once alcohol had been introduced. It's possible I had some gas in Saturdays reading as there was a small head in my tube but I would agree there was a flub somewhere. I did taste it yesterday, chocolate and coffee were leading but I would not classify it as sweet. Would there be any thought to adding more yeast at this point? Possibly a starter and letting it set for 2 more weeks? It was supposed to come in at 10%, I would be at about 6.5% right now and that is after hitting my OG of 1.102. I think there is sugar in there still. I hope! :)

Im dumb and keep forgetting your beer started out such high gravity :)

I see people using 05 yeast for IPAs at 7, 8, 9% alc, so I doubt that's causing a stall. But I should take back my comment that 05 should be done by now, since your beer is so big.

I would honestly wait a few more days and take another sampling. If you still get no progress, maybe try pitching another kind of yeast. My LHBS carries a "re-start" variety. I wish I had more experience with your situation--I make beers in the 1.055 range.

Also you can use an app like Brewking (free) or others that take OG and alcohol into account, so you can still take refractometer readings without being wildly off. You just need to have the OG in order to adjust the output value accordingly.

There is never any serious harm in pitching more yeast, my only reason to avoid this would be my own cheapness. You can also make a starter and add that in if you are inclined. But if it were me I would wait just a bit more before that.

Latest posts

Back