List of Commercial Cider Specific Gravities?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siebercider

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can find a list of the specific gravities for commercial ciders? Or, would you be willing to measure the ciders that you have on hand and post your results?

I've been disappointed with how dry my ciders have been and it's partly because I'm not backsweetening anywhere close to the SG of a commercial cider, which I just realized today.

I just measured Hornsby's Hard Crisp Cider at 1.026. The one batch of mine I measured had a FG of 1.010, so far from commercial cider sweet.

Thanks.

I don't like commercial ciders because they are too sweet. Americans need to get away from that. The Angry orchard is over 200 calories per bottle!

That being said...I can check on a magnets next time I get one.

Someone posted something like 1.030 or something like that for an angry orchard.

I don't know the SG, but there's a local Portland cider company that makes a brand called Anthem cider that is actually pretty dry, at least the hopped variety. I think their regular cider might be a bit on the sweet side. I agree with the others that too many commercial ciders are too sweet. It's particularly disappointing when they're labeled as "dry" and then you taste it and it's way too sweet. Spire Dark & Dry comes to mind. It doesn't surprise me to learn that Angry Orchard's "dry" is actually 1020. I would consider that semi-sweet at best.

Magner's Original in Canada is 1.010
Somersby's on the other hand is sweet enough to make your teeth hurt.

1.01 to 1.02 is about all I can take if it is a cider I'm going to drink more than 1 or 2 of over the course of a night.

I've had some very tasty candy bar ciders (Probably as high as 1.04 or 1.045), but I'm a firm believer that's how you get a lot of people sick (sugary alcohol)

1.01 to 1.02 is about all I can take if it is a cider I'm going to drink more than 1 or 2 of over the course of a night.

I've had some very tasty candy bar ciders (Probably as high as 1.04 or 1.045), but I'm a firm believer that's how you get a lot of people sick (sugary alcohol)

Plus, alcohol has has the same calories as Sugar. So you might as well have fun while getting fat.:rockin:

Plus, alcohol has has the same calories as Sugar. So you might as well have fun while getting fat.:rockin:

No, it doesn't. Alcohol has approximately twice as much calories per gram (7) as sugar (4).

Sugary alcoholic drinks are, obviously, just about the worst thing you can possibly drink in terms of calories per volume. Pretty much the only real way to top that is to start drinking pure fat (olive oil, melted butter, lard, etc), which comes in at 9 calories per gram.

Back