Liquid yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorCalBrewin

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm a bit new to the brewing scene so I'm wondering about yeast.
I just ordered a Rouge IIPA kit from morebeer, and I ordered a vial of white lab yeast with it.
My question is will the yeast do a good enough job by me just getting it to room temp and pitching it into the cooled wort? Would if be better if I "started" it?, like I've read about for big beers? Should I get two vials instead?

Is too much yeast harmful to the beer?

It is all dependant on the volume of wort and the OG going into the fermentor. Right from White labs website "Each vial of White Labs liquid yeast is designed to be used directly in 5 gallons, hence the term "pitchable yeast." Each vial is equivalent in cell count to a pint starter, or 75-150 billion cells. One vial will usually start fermentation in 5 gallons in 5-15 hours at 70°F. If a faster start is desired, or if initial gravity is over 1.070, we recommend a 1-2 pint starter be made. "

http://www.yeastcalc.com

IMO and many others if you are using liquid yeast you make a starter. Go to the above site and plug in your numbers, dates, gravity, etc and find the proper pitching rate for the desired beer and make the appropriate starter. Depending upon the expected viability of your yeast and the size of the beer the site will help you calculate if you need to step up the starter as well.

Back