Liquid Yeast Information

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hooterjbrew

Reaction score
Complete newb question seeking any and all information I can get. I am wanting to brew up a NEIPA and would rather do a 2.5 gallon batch (couple of them) and I'm wanting to use liquid yeast. This will be the first time I've used liquid so Im looking for basic "I don't know crap" information. I do know certain things but my biggest question is how much for a 2-2.5 gallon batch, stir plates, starters, how long is liquid yeast good....those types of things. Anything you all can provide me with is greatly appreciated. :mug:

I suggest starting with a pitch rate/starter calculator like this one.
http://www.brewunited.com/yeast_calculator.php
or
https://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/

The calculator will also give you an estimate of viability based on the age of the yeast. Check out the information below the calculator for more information.

Hope this gives you a good start for answers to some of your questions.

Yes this is exactly what I'm looking for! Thank you!

Complete newb question seeking any and all information I can get. I am wanting to brew up a NEIPA and would rather do a 2.5 gallon batch (couple of them) and I'm wanting to use liquid yeast. This will be the first time I've used liquid so Im looking for basic "I don't know crap" information. I do know certain things but my biggest question is how much for a 2-2.5 gallon batch, stir plates, starters, how long is liquid yeast good....those types of things. Anything you all can provide me with is greatly appreciated. :mug:

A single smack pack of liquid yeast will be sufficient for a 5 gallon batch according to the manufacturers. It will also work fine for a 2 1/2 gallon batch so just smack the pack, let it sit for a bit and dump it in. Beer is fairly forgiving for the amount of yeast pitched.

Your wort will contain everything the yeast need for multiplying except for oxygen. You probably don't need to worry about that for a small batch but the 5 gallon batches need aerated. Shaking the fermenter, pouring wort between pot and fermenter, air pump and air stone all work fine for the average gravity beer. If you want to make an imperial or barleywine you probably will want pure oxygen.

Control of the temperature during early fermentation is much more critical for good tasting beer but you didn't ask about that.

A single smack pack of liquid yeast will be sufficient for a 5 gallon batch according to the manufacturers. It will also work fine for a 2 1/2 gallon batch so just smack the pack, let it sit for a bit and dump it in. Beer is fairly forgiving for the amount of yeast pitched.

Your wort will contain everything the yeast need for multiplying except for oxygen. You probably don't need to worry about that for a small batch but the 5 gallon batches need aerated. Shaking the fermenter, pouring wort between pot and fermenter, air pump and air stone all work fine for the average gravity beer. If you want to make an imperial or barleywine you probably will want pure oxygen.

Control of the temperature during early fermentation is much more critical for good tasting beer but you didn't ask about that.

Thanks! That is a good question answered....I was not for sure on over pitching yeast on a 2 1/2 gal batch compared to 5gal. I have a good ferm chamber set up with temp controller for fermentation purposes as long as I can get the right temps per time. Thanks for your help!

Back