Liquid Yeast = Higher Attenuation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golphur

Reaction score
I just took final gravity readings on two batches of beer made with my first attempts at liquid yeast. I have made dozens of brews before, all similar recipes, using dry yeast packets. For comparison, my S-05 Dry yeast packs resulted in final gravity readings of about 1.013, roughly 79-80% attenuation.

My first two liquid yeasts WLP001 have FG readings of 1.006 and 1.008 or about 88% attenuation. Is this what I should expect on future brews when using liquid yeast? Is it a result of switching from dry packs to liquid or perhaps because I created a proper starter for liquid vs just rehydrating and pitching when using dry?

Possibly, do you do all grain or extract? There's a lot of variables here.

using a starter will surely help out with attenuation levels, IME . 88% is very high extenuation for any yeast strain. (i've only seen attenuation in the 80%s with s-05 in my beers). like another poster said, a lot of other factors could come into play here; mash temps (if mashing), extract type (if using extract), fermentation temps, yeast strain, etc., but overall, i feel beers using liquid yeast definitely benefit from a starter, regardless of batch size and OG. :mug:

Is this what I should expect on future brews when using liquid yeast? Is it a result of switching from dry packs to liquid or perhaps because I created a proper starter for liquid vs just rehydrating and pitching when using dry?

No

eh, I was afraid it wouldn't be a simple answer. Anyway, not really worried about it. I just found it very interesting to get such a high attenuation and low FG when using liquid + starter for the first time.

At any rate, I like my IPA's to be dry and crisp. Guess I accomplished that well.

To answer your questions though, both batches were all-grain. One was mashed at 154 for 60 minutes and the other was 153 for 90 minutes. Both fermented at about 68 degrees for the first few days and then stored in basement at around 62 degrees for 30 days. All in primary. I did not secondary either beer.

You gave the fg but what about og? And what about hop additions and grain bill. This is needed for a final answer

I've done Liquid always; but the starter is what moved my gravities down to where they should be. It's the starter baby!

Are the beers that us-05 fermented down to 1013 identical to what wlp001 got to 1006-1008? If so, I'd say that's very strange.

Are the beers that us-05 fermented down to 1013 identical to what wlp001 got to 1006-1008? If so, I'd say that's very strange.

i thought the same thing, if anything, i've seen s-05 attenuate better than it's liquid equals, and i always use a starter with liquid. obviously a healthy pitch will help you reach a low FG, whether with a liquid starter or a proper pitch of dry, but to get that kind of attenuation means there were other factors at play.

I've noticed "cleaner, crisper, less estery" beers w/WLP001 and a nice healthy starter as compared to rehydrated US-05 when making five gallons batches. I always pitch the whole starter at high Kreusen.

I've noticed "cleaner, crisper, less estery" beers w/WLP001 and a nice healthy starter as compared to rehydrated US-05 when making five gallons batches. I always pitch the whole starter at high Kreusen.

yeah, i think the liquid is a bit cleaner when it comes to the chico strain. s-05 can get a bit peachy at the lower temps. sometimes that's nice, sometimes i use 1056 to avoid it in lighter flavored beers.

I'm with you on the "peachy"... I use WLP001 @65 with a big pitch; or a Kolsch Yeast. I really don't like Fruity "light ales"

I'm with you on the "peachy"... I use WLP001 @65 with a big pitch; or a Kolsch Yeast. I really don't like Fruity "light ales"

i think the peachy flavor has it's spot in some lighter ales, i do one that's really light with maris otter, biscuit malt & citra and cascade hops that i like to use s-05 in the low 60's to get the peachy ester, it goes nice with the flavor of the citra hops and maris otter. but in general, in darker american styles, i'll use s-05, but in pale ales and lighter beers, 1056, or even 1272, i really like that one for pale ales and IPA.

No, not the same recipes. Same style, same process, similar OG, similar ingredients. That's why I zeroed in on liquid being the reason for the higher attenuation.

Obviously there are a lot of variables at play here. Not as simple as I thought. I have much to learn about the science of brewing. On the plus side, it tasted great going into the keg!

golphur said:
No, not the same recipes. Same style, same process, similar OG, similar ingredients. That's why I zeroed in on liquid being the reason for the higher attenuation.

Obviously there are a lot of variables at play here. Not as simple as I thought. I have much to learn about the science of brewing. On the plus side, it tasted great going into the keg!

Didn't actually answer the questions yet. Specifics are better for accurate responses.

NordeastBrewer77 said:
^this^ is the most important aspect of brewing, IMO. :mug: all that matters in the end is what hit's the glass.

Well, yes and no. Making money is important but if you forget or dont know how to to do it, you go broke, it won't just happen all the time. Similarly, you can make a good beer or get great attenuation but if you don't know how you did it, you might have difficulty getting back to that point when it matters most.

Back