Liquid vs. DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slippery

Reaction score
Which Do you prefer? Also if my recipe calls for liquid what's the conversion to dry?
I prefer dry ? Am sure it's not 1 lb to 1 lb.
What would you guys recommend ?

I was having consistancy problems with LME from everyone untill i used MoorBeers. I can't tell you enough about how good it is. That said i use specilty grains to color and flavor my beer and use ultralight/light LME as the base.

Excellent beer can be made from both Dried and Liquid Malt Extract. The only thing to keep in mind is that they will differ slightly in their sugar content when diluted weight for weight:

•1 pound of Dried Malt Extract dissolved in one gallon of water = 1.045 SG
•1 pound of liquid Malt Extract dissolved in one gallon of water = 1.035 SG
•For reference: 10 pounds grain to create 6 gal wort, boiled to 5 gal = 1.050 SG (assuming a 70% efficiency).

I use both because i can't do a full 5gal boil. The bulk Is LME. Once i top off with water it can bring down the OG so i use DME to bring it back where it should be. That and making starters :rockin:

Depends on the beer. LME tends to take on more color during the boil. DME is also easier to store - I always have some on hand for starters etc.

At my local store there is a greater selection of grain choices in LME - so that sometimes informs the decision.

Whats your reasoning?
stores longer and I don't have to worry about stale LME
cheaper to ship, cheaper per gravity point
easier to add to a boil, easier to measure
pisen/ex-light dme is is lighter than the lightest lme available.

and most importantly the dear tastes better.

I use LME.

Why? Because it is cheaper. I buy it in 33 lb containers. Pour out what I need, no problem, and it keeps fine. I don't keep it in the fridge, just the basement; but it will be gone in a few months from opening.

LME is somewhat cheaper, and I WANT to think that something less processed is going to taste better, but I have not had that experience.

I've found DME easier to store and easier to use. I've heard "fresh LME" should taste better, but I haven't seen it. Has anyone had better TASTE from LME?

From NB, 3 pounds of DME is $13 (1.026 SG) and 3.15 # of LME is $11 (1.023 SG, that's if you don't get any waste with LME which is more difficult than with DME).

One last question: any thoughts on how long properly sealed DME would last?

That's not really fair to use 3lb though. Unless you are doing half batches you are going to typically be using 6lb LME or 5lb DME. That is $16 vs $18. Not a huge deal on one batch but it adds up when you are doing 15+ batches a year.

DME is generally easier to work with.

LME is somewhat cheaper, and I WANT to think that something less processed is going to taste better, but I have not had that experience.

I've found DME easier to store and easier to use. I've heard "fresh LME" should taste better, but I haven't seen it. Has anyone had better TASTE from LME?

From NB, 3 pounds of DME is $13 (1.026 SG) and 3.15 # of LME is $11 (1.023 SG, that's if you don't get any waste with LME which is more difficult than with DME).

Everyone needs to take a hard look at how Morebeer packages there LME. There is a difference ! Ive went through all the major on line brew stores. Nothing beats the quality and consistency the Morebeer puts out.

pjcampbell said:

Fresh LME IMO tastes better

BxBrewer said:
Everyone needs to take a hard look at how Morebeer packages there LME. There is a difference ! Ive went through all the major on line brew stores. Nothing beats the quality and consistency the Morebeer puts out.

I always use Morebeers LME when I use extract and it is fantastic. I do AG 99% of the time unless they have a deal of the day extract kit on sale and its always very fresh and very tasty. I never think twice when I purchase one of their kits. And no I don't work for them

From a practical standpoint, I find that DME is a pain to add to the wort if you brew outdoors and it's windy outside. :p

I think Williams Brewing uses similar pouches to what More beer uses for their lme. That said, I've never purchased lme from either place. When I was doing extract, I usually got it from Midwest, and it was lme. lme was a pain to get all of it out of the container, so I preferred dme.

Hogarthe said:
I think Williams Brewing uses similar pouches to what More beer uses for their lme. That said, I've never purchased lme from either place. When I was doing extract, I usually got it from Midwest, and it was lme. lme was a pain to get all of it out of the container, so I preferred dme.

Whenever. I do LME, I get a small pan of water heated and let it warm up. Pours right out.

Once I start steeping my grains, I heat up a bit more water in my HLT and then let the container of LME sit in the pot (off the burner) with the lid on until I'm ready to add it to the boil. Pours like maple syrup.

Bulk LME from my LHBS is cheaper by a significant amount, and I find that LME is easier to deal with. Warm water in the sink for a few minutes and it pours fine. YMMV. That said, my next DIY project is an MLT.

Back