Liquid malt extract types

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben2904

Reaction score
I know that there are types of it, but whats the difference?
only by color? with malt is used in each one? every type is the same in every store? I mean same by, lets say, I buy dark extract in one LHBS and one in a second LHBS. It is the same? Or mabye one is (I just say for the example) pils malt and one is pale malt...

I hope you got my idea........

Its all started because in one store there is only 1 type of LME, and its dark in color (reddish brown like not porter brown or black).
And its just extract, nothing else like a label with things and stuff that explains..

The difference is more than color its also flavor. If you go to Briess's website they generally list the contents of the various extracts.

Example:
Light extract is a base malt and pilsner malt
Amber extract is base malt, munich, crystal 60
etc...

There is generally a difference between the vendors that make the extracts as well. Liquid Extract LME usually ends up producing a darker brew vs Dry Extract DME of the same varieties. Also you want to purchase LME that isnt older, it will get darker with age.

I dont know how many offer hopped extracts anymore but you dont want those, you want to choose the hops that you want to put into your beer because the effect the flavors so much.

The difference is more than color its also flavor. If you go to Briess's website they generally list the contents of the various extracts.

Example:
Light extract is a base malt and pilsner malt
Amber extract is base malt, munich, crystal 60
etc...

There is generally a difference between the vendors that make the extracts as well. Liquid Extract LME usually ends up producing a darker brew vs Dry Extract DME of the same varieties. Also you want to purchase LME that isnt older, it will get darker with age.

I dont know how many offer hopped extracts anymore but you dont want those, you want to choose the hops that you want to put into your beer because the effect the flavors so much.
Ok but in my LHBS there is 1 type of LME without any labels or anything (I think they just buy big amounts and seperate it into small packets of 1.5 kg.

So if I ask the man in the shop he will know to tell me what is it exactly?

They should be able to tell you what type of extract that is.

Back