Liquid karbonation issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KookyBrewsky

Reaction score
Hello all, I've got an issue with my carbonation.

I created my own SCOBY through GT's Original. That has been going for about 4 batches now. This most recent one I did everything perfectly, the prior 3 batches were a bit more improv and didn't work so well. I think I may have finished the SCOBY a little early before there was an equilibrium between the yeast and bacteria, so I let this one ferment for longer.

Now on my 4th batch: 1F at 14 days, 2F for 2 days (it's hot in FL) after adding 1/4 cup of fruit puree.

The kombucha was very fizzy when I put it in the bottles for 2F. But it was only fizzy when disturbed. After 2F, as with all the batches so far, when I open the bottle, I get relatively high gushing. This batch had the least by far, just a little oozed out but it was very pressurized still. I had about 1inch of headspace. After I pour the booch into a glass most of the carbonation disappears even though it fizzes like crazy upon opening. This batch has been in the fridge for 1 day. Basically, if you pour a soda into a glass, it'll fizz then gently release carbonation the entire time until it's almost room temp. With my booch, I get high pressure release, lots of fizz, carbonation when I pour, then it's mostly done fizzing no matter how cold it is or soon after the pour.

Any tips for troubleshooting?

Keep it cold longer- c02 dissolves into solution better when the liquid is cold. Allow 48-72 hours for the c02 to fully dissolve into the liquid, and that should help.

Keep it cold longer- c02 dissolves into solution better when the liquid is cold. Allow 48-72 hours for the c02 to fully dissolve into the liquid, and that should help.

Thanks, I figured this was the case which is why I mentioned it was only in there for 1 day. However, this being the best batch I'm hoping it won't follow suit with previous batches, as even after a few days they were gushers. I guess I'll need yet another brewing vessel so I can have constant drinkable batches going.

Now that they've sat in the fridge for a few days, they're still gushers. I just don't understand why. I've brewed 5 batches and only have gushers. 90% of the carbonation leaves the liquid when I open the bottles. All that's left when I pour a glass are small bubbles, and not many.

Is my tea compromised? SCOBY undeveloped maybe? I just don't know which variable to change so I don't keep wasting time. I could leave it in 1F for longer, shorter 2F didn't seem to solve the gusher problem but I could reduce it to even one day.

It's probably supersaturated.
The change in pressure probably makes all the CO2 come out of solution.

It's probably supersaturated.
The change in pressure probably makes all the CO2 come out of solution.

Alright, and that could be caused by what? I use a pretty standard 1/4 cup fruit purée per bottle which works for everyone online.

does that mean I don’t leave it in 1F long enough? Or my SCOBY is out of balance? If the latter, what could I do?

Could be too much residual sugar in the recipe that carries through. The recipes that people post online have way too much sugar. For instance, 1 cup of granulated sugar per gallon is twice the amount needed.

I haven't bottle carbonated in a long time, but when I did, I never had a gusher. The fact that you have gushers points to overcarbonation aka supersaturation.

Could be too much residual sugar in the recipe that carries through. The recipes that people post online have way too much sugar. For instance, 1 cup of granulated sugar per gallon is twice the amount needed.

I haven't bottle carbonated in a long time, but when I did, I never had a gusher. The fact that you have gushers points to overcarbonation aka supersaturation.

Thank you. I know that had to be it but I just wasn't sure how common, if at all, infections are when brewing kombucha... I will reduce my sugar greatly for the next batch.

Back