Lines from Basement Keezer to Upstairs Bar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lorne17

Reaction score
Hello there,

I am installing a new island in my kitchen (which will house our bar stuff) and would love to be able to put 1-2 beer lines from my basement below to upstairs. I am guessing it'll be somewhere in the ball park of 12'-15'. Is there anyone who has done something similar? My keezer is a small chest freezer (can hold 3 five gallon kegs) and I'd have the lines coming out the top of the island. So I need to think of how to insulate it. I'm open to ideas. The only idea I have is to have PVC run from Keezer to upstairs that is insulated on the outside. This way I can run 2 lines in it without having issues being caught in the pvc and insulation. It's basically an insulated conduit.

Questions I have:
  • Do you foresee any issues with this?
  • How do you keep the lines cold?
  • Is there any waste from the beer being in the line and getting a bit warm for the few days before pouring another one?
  • Has anyone had issues with installing this type of setup?
  • How do you suggest I clean the lines? Currently I use a pump and pump water through it, but in a loop so I can let it run for awhile.
  • What am I missing? I'm sure there's something.

Is this an endeavor that I shouldn't mess with? I'm concerned I'll have more issues and wasted beer than it's worth? Should I just buck up and work off that beer by walking downstairs to pour a pint?

Thanks for the help!
Lorne

I run 27ft of 1/4 barrier tube to 4 taps I use a glycol cooled trunk line. The lines hold about 12 ozs. Look up insulated trunk lines, chi company has them. For glycol chilling, I use a spare mini fridge with a corny full of rv antifreeze. I use a 12$ eBay pond pump to constantly circ the solution. You can build a chiller from a dehumidifier or Ac unit too.

Look up line balancing calculator. You.might be OK with 3/16 barrier lines. But remember to include you vertical rise as it affects you psi required.

Cleaning is as your normally do, but involves running up and down the stairs more. I just got perlick 425s and am switching over to a recirc system, but have not set it up yet.

How much are you looking to spend? Basic Brewing put up a podcast last week with an interview of a guy who did just what you are describing. He ended up building a glycol-chiller from a small chest freezer. He said it cost him about $400 (retail units go for $1000), plus whatever the trunk line costs (I guess they are also expensive), taps, lines, serving freezer, controller etc.

Best bet is to look up existing designs and price out your setup. I wouldn't be surprised if you need to spend about 600-800 to modify your existing setup..just a guess.

As for the technical end, it basically line balancing and tinkering. Similar systems are pretty much in every bar you go to.

Hrmmm...I was hoping it wouldn't be a huge expense. Maybe I'll nix it for now. I can get the floor access and ready if I change my mind in the future.

Thanks for the tips! I'll do some research before pulling the plug.

Lorne

I figure you may have some issues getting the beer to the faucets. Maybe I will be wrong, but you will be fighting gravity and the longer the lines, the more "weight" will be pushing back down the lines.

Any other input on this?

I figure you may have some issues getting the beer to the faucets. Maybe I will be wrong, but you will be fighting gravity and the longer the lines, the more "weight" will be pushing back down the lines.

Any other input on this?

These are real factors, but that is where the line balancing comes in. Keep in mind that alot of bars have long run lines if the kegs are kept in a back room or in the basement.

Back