Line sizing from 3/16 main line to 1/4 tower line Problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

born2dive9702

Reaction score
Hello

I have a question for you all.

For my soda kegerator in the past I have carbonated the soda and dispensed the soda at 22-25psi depending on the soda type.
I have run the soda out thru 3/16 lines about 18-22' (ball park) and I
have used perlick adjustable flow taps, with a 3/16 barb on the back. This dispensed the soda beautifully.

Now a year ago I received a cobra beer tower for my birthday. I wanted to use the same lines 3/16 X 18-22' BUT the product pipes are 1/4 " OD and are going up about 18" long to the head.

I do not really wish to use 1/4 ID lines from the tanks to the tower tap as this will take about 55 - 60' of tubing per line (guestimated without looking at the actual numbers)

Now I know (in theory) you are not supposed to go from a small line to a large line because the sudden drop of pressure will release the gas, which causes foaming.

So here is my question. How much foaming are we talking about?

I was thinking of having a 3/16" barb welded or using a compression fitting to the 1/4 line and run the helical coils that they use for mixing epoxy to increase the resistance so it does not expand so fast

Will this be a problem going from 22' of 3/16 to a 18" 1/4 pipe if so what can I do to fix it. (the taps are adjustable also but only adjust the flow rate,)

Please let me know what you think is the best solution.

So are the tower lines 1/4" OD or 1/4" ID?
Either way, I'd try it stock and see what happens before modding it.
It might just work fine...

Cheers!

Tower lines are 5/16" OD, 1/4" ID

The change from the 3/16 ID of the accuflex to the ID of the tower lines is 1/16"

I need to get a 3/16" ID line over a 5/16" od tube

And these accuflex does not like to expand even when heated, Most of the time I can only go up 1/16" so 3/16 Id tube over a 1/4" Od tube.

and once I get it on, will the size expanding from the ID of the accuflex to the 1/4" ID beer tower tube pose a problem???

Would cooling the soda/beer down at the tower to a lower temp than what the kegs are at help with foaming due to the size change??? I keep my kegs at 36.5 degrees F. I was thinking of having the tower cooled to dispense the soda at 33 degrees F would this help???

So are the tower lines 1/4" OD or 1/4" ID?
Either way, I'd try it stock and see what happens before modding it.
It might just work fine...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back